Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

This is a discussion on Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I am unable to send through my msn account; which is a drag to forward something that came in that

Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

I am unable to send through my msn account; which is a drag to forward something that came in that mailbox. I get the error: Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E. This error does not happen when I am forwarding or sending in one of my other email addresses. The solution that I have seen posted states it is a problem when you have "call waiting" on your line. Since my puter is on the same cable as my phone, I need to have phone usage, call waiting, and puter use all at the same time. This has been an on and off issue since Windows Live took over my old Outlook Express. Without moving messages from the msn account to another email, is there a better way?

Old 07-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Windows Tech Team

Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E usually means there is a problem connecting to the server or the connection is timing out.
You can try to ping your SMTP server.
Go to start - run - type "ping MSN smtp SERVER" (where MSN smtp SERVER is your smtp server you are using in outlook express for your MSN account).
Let me know if you get a reply or not.

Your firewall (if you have one) might also be interfering? Try turning them off temporarily.
You might be using the wrong port to send emails?
Lastly you have to authenticate to the SMTP server and you might not be doing that?

« help ! | Ram »