Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

So, I accidentally deleted my sound driver.

This is a discussion on So, I accidentally deleted my sound driver. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. You might be wondering how that's possible. I was actually trying to free up some space, and I mistakenly hit

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #1
WVI
Registered Member

You might be wondering how that's possible. I was actually trying to free up some space, and I mistakenly hit the wrong box, and before I realized it, it was too late.

All I remembered was that it said it was a Realtek driver. So I went to Realtek's site, and there were two audio drivers there. I downloaded both install files, and neither of them work. Here are the error details I get:

For Realtek HD Audio:
Error Code: -5004 : 0x80070005
Error Information:
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (3093)
pAPP:Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
PVENDOR:Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
PGUID:f132af7f-7bca-4ede-8a7c-958108fe7dbc
$11.50.0.42618
@Windows XP Service Pack 1 (2600) IE 6.0.2800.1106

For Realtek AC97 Audio:
Error Code: -5004 : 0x80070005
Error Information:
>SetupDLL\SetupDLL.cpp (3093)
pAPP:Realtek AC'97 Audio
PVENDOR:Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
PGUID:fb08f381-6533-4108-b7dd-039e11fbc27e
$11.50.0.42618
@Windows XP Service Pack 1 (2600) IE 6.0.2800.1106

Looking at them now, they're the exact same error message.

So what do I do to get my sound working again? System Restore doesn't work, either, by the way. Every first time I try to open it, nothing happens, and every second time, it brings up what looks like a blank text file with a grayed-out scroll bar.

Old 06-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #2
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Hi there...

the downloaded installer for the drivers usually comes in an extractable installer or archive. Try right clicking on it to see if you can extract the files to their own folder. Then go to your Device Manager (start -> run -> devmgmt.msc -> ok) then right click on your sound card listing and select to update the driver then choose to install from a specified location then browse to the location where the driver files are extracted and see if it's possible to update the drivers that way.

Hope that helps :)

Old 06-20-2006, 05:00 PM   #3
Happy to support TSF!

My System

Also, is there any particular reason why you haven't upgraded to Service Pack 2?
Old 06-20-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
WVI
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickster_uk
Also, is there any particular reason why you haven't upgraded to Service Pack 2?
I wouldn't know how to go about doing that...

Quote:
the downloaded installer for the drivers usually comes in an extractable installer or archive. Try right clicking on it to see if you can extract the files to their own folder.
I apparently can, using Winzip. But what would "its own folder" be? I've no idea where to put any of this stuff.
Old 06-21-2006, 03:55 AM   #5
WVI
Registered Member

Umm...I don't know how to bump this without posting again, so please forgive me for double-posting.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:28 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via MSN to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105
First if you need to unzip something download WinRar. (google it) When using WinRar you can tell it where to put "its own folder."

As for the SP2 go to google, type in "SP2 Download" you'll get this:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=846

Scroll down and hit Download now. Wait for it to finish, it may take a long time. If you do not have the SP2 or verification that your windows XP is legit you will not recieve help on this forum. Please remember that.

Once it is done, close out of everything and double click on it. It should install and make you reboot your computer. If your computer is legit, and you do not install the sp2.. you will most likely regret it. You will be more infected than you most likely are, and you will no longer gain use of you computer. From that point you'd have to post in the hjt area.. and get instructions on fixing your machine. Although they / we try to make it user friendly.. it can still at times be difficult.

Enough about that... if you need more help with updates security or the sp2 please read this, then pm me if you need more assistance.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=96049
~blitze
Old 06-21-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to TheMatt
I would only download service pack 2 from the microsoft website.
Old 06-21-2006, 07:57 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blitze105 Send a message via MSN to Blitze105 Send a message via Yahoo to Blitze105
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatt
I would only download service pack 2 from the microsoft website.
I knew some one would say that. I however in that thread recommended using the FireFox or Opera browser. They do not let them download from Microsoft...
~blitze
Old 07-04-2006, 10:16 PM   #9
WVI
Registered Member

New info...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/showthread.php?t=105570
Old 12-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #10
Registered Member

Hi i run Win 7 and also accidently deleted my Realtek driver while trying to get rid of a trial sound recorder program. I have already followed the steps using device manager and that didnt work. I tried downloading the driver directly from realtek and that didnt work either, please help.