Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Slow computer...always 100% cpu usage?!

This is a discussion on Slow computer...always 100% cpu usage?! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. im pretty sure that i have a virus on my computer as the cpu usage is always at 100%, i

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 04:45 AM   #1
Registered Member

im pretty sure that i have a virus on my computer as the cpu usage is always at 100%, i only reinstalled my system yesterday so i dont really want to reinstall again.
i am using sygate personal firewall and mcafee virus scanner, ran mcafee and nothing was shown. i have noticed that csrrs.exe or csrss.exe are trying to access the internet but get stopped by sygate, could this be what it is? also all the time im having little popups (that say messenger service in the head)come up on the screen even though im running a popup blocker!
this is the first time i have posted on here but iv'e read old posts for along time and i know alot of people use the 'hijack this' program, should i use this?
if i do when it reports the log file, what should i look for?

thanks

Old 09-06-2004, 04:56 AM   #2
Registered Member

also when i just got through typing that message the system unexpectedly shut down due to an RPC issue and gave me a 55 second countdown to when it would shut down, is that part of the issue?

please help!

Old 10-06-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
Registered Member

The problem you have is with a security issue that causes the remote procedure call to fail and that is was causes the reboot.

U can download this from windows update but the computer will reboot before you are finished.

The way i fixed this for friends is that i downloaded the most important files and burned them on a cd and ran it from there....

Start with the RPC patch and then continue with the updates, virus cleaners etc.
U will have to download the files somewhere else though and keep the cd if it happens again...

Hopefully this is the info you need..

Tc and G´luck
//Rick@rd