Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slipstreamed XP Back-Up without "nLitenment" ?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Squashman 
#1 ·
A few weeks back, I ran "sfc /scannow" from the command-line to verify that my system files were okay. What I didn't know at the time was that running this program sets the computer back to it's original (installation) condition.

(At least I am pretty sure this is true, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.)

What I didn't know at the time was that I would have needed to re-install all the Security Updates, etc... that were released after the "Service Pack" version of my XP Installation disk (in my case, SP2).

Not knowing this, I unwittingly went about Internet Surfing "naked" with limited (security) protection, and stumbled onto an internet site that installed a slew of malware on my computer. If I had all the Security Updates installed at the time, it is my belief that I would have been protected from this site (and others like it).

Now I am concerned because sfc is a useful and easy-to-use troubleshooting technique. But if it going to "reset" the Security of my system back to SP2 after I use it, it will mean that I will not want to use it due to the time involved of re-installing all the updates that were released after SP2.

So my first question is, is it possible to create a Slipstreamed WinXP (Pro) Install disk that you can insert when sfc /scannow calls for the installation disk that will have all the installed updates, so that sfc will (I assume) overwrite these files with the most-recently released version ?

And if it is possible, is it "legal" ?

I have tried nuhi's "nLite" program, and while it was good at creating a disk with the most recent Service Packs installed (back then I was bringing a bare Win2000 Installation disk up to SP4), getting nLite to also slipstream the Security Updates, Hotfixes etc... into the installation disk was more time-consuming and more technically difficult to successfully accomplish.

Recently I have been reading about all the different things that are being done to modify WinXP. Most modifications are trying to "slim-down" the bulk of it in order to make it load and run faster.

Given all this creative activity, I wonder if anyone has gotten to the point to where an WinXP installation disk can be made based not on the original data from the Installation disk, which can either be "pared down", slipstreamed with other data, or both, but rather an Installation Disk that is created from the data of the installed Operating System on the system's Hard Drive.

In short, a true "back-up disk" for the Operating System, one that can be easily be created without having to spend a lot of time learning which files to include or exclude.

What I am looking for is a fast way to repair my current system's installation without having to "go backwards" first, before having to spend a lot of time "going forward" in order to get the system back up to the point it was before I started "going backwards".

In short, does anyone know of a "magic bullet" ?

Thanks in advance,

George

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
#3 · (Edited)
Pete ? Oshwyn ?

Well thanks anyways for the help. :)

I read all the links posted. These are all concerned with what I described in the first post as "... an WinXP installation disk ... made based ... on the original data from the Installation Disk ..." , and what I am hoping to find is "... an Installation Disk that is created from the data of the installed Operating System on the system's Hard Drive."

I actually used the "supersite" link's guide to create my nLite disk(s), and it was fairly clear, but in no way could it be considered "easy" or "fast".

I was hoping for an even more "automated" (good word, thanks) approach. Hoping for something like-

- open software
- push "go" button
- save output file
- burn output image to disk to create a fully-updated O/S that is completely configured to your computer that you can use to immediately re-install to a completely updated state without having to mess around with anything.

***edit - Also, it would be nice to be able to use this disk to run sfc /scannow to rebuild corrupted/missing/outdated system files as necessary, without sending the system back to "0", requiring a full update procedure afterwards.

I suppose this might be too much to ask for. But it "feels" possible. Maybe this is an idea whose time has come. Wish I had the skills to do it.

#5 ·
George Quick said:
Well thanks anyways for the help. :)

I read all the links posted. These are all concerned with what I described in the first post as "... an WinXP installation disk ... made based ... on the original data from the Installation Disk ..." , and what I am hoping to find is "... an Installation Disk that is created from the data of the installed Operating System on the system's Hard Drive."

I actually used the "supersite" link's guide to create my nLite disk(s), and it was fairly clear, but in no way could it be considered "easy" or "fast".

I was hoping for an even more "automated" (good word, thanks) approach. Hoping for something like-

- open software
- push "go" button
- save output file
- burn output image to disk to create a fully-updated O/S that is completely configured to your computer that you can use to immediately re-install to a completely updated state without having to mess around with anything.

***edit - Also, it would be nice to be able to use this disk to run sfc /scannow to rebuild corrupted/missing/outdated system files as necessary, without sending the system back to "0", requiring a full update procedure afterwards.

I suppose this might be too much to ask for. But it "feels" possible. Maybe this is an idea whose time has come. Wish I had the skills to do it.

If you do not have an install cd, just a recovery cd, often there is a copy of the xp installer files in a folder C:\i386 which you can use to create the slipstream install cd.

#6 · (Edited)
Slipstreamed Disk as System File Back-Up

If you do not have an install cd, just a recovery cd, often there is a copy of the xp installer files in a folder C:\i386 which you can use to create the slipstream install cd.
I have an XP Pro CD with SP2, so building a slipstreamed Install Disk shouldn't be a problem. It's just the time involved that concerns me. But I suppose creating a fully-integrated Install Disk is still the best solution available now.

Also, while reading the material from the links provided, I was interested to discover that you can slipstream the Product Key Code into the Install Disk, thereby creating an Installation Disk that is truly automated. However, I can see both positives and negatives for having this feature.

I recently learned that Windows Installation Disks are the same, in that they are not directly "tied" to their Product Key Codes. So, if in the event that multiple computers are involved, one slipstreamed Installation Disk should be able to act as a System File Back-up Disk for all of them.

This should be "legal", shouldn't it ?

It is for this reason that having the Product Key integrated would be a negative, as (I assume) the Install Disk wouldn't work on a machine that had been installed with a Product Key other than the one on the disk.

#8 ·
if you have xp with sp2 it has already been slipstreamed by micosoft
to get around sfc backdating,you need the hotfixes slipstreamed,some people do this they usually use a rw disk so that they are not wasting disks with monthly reburns
if you include the product key in the burn you need to store the disk in a secure place

#9 ·
Well you have a few options. You could use AutoPatcher which usually comes out with Monthly releases.
http://www.autopatcher.com/
You can use AutoPatchers little brother AutoStreamer as well.
http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=223562

I also like these tutorials on SlipStreaming Service Packs and HotFixes. I think it shows you how to put in your Drivers as well.
http://www.vorck.com/hfslip.html
http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/01/how_to_slipstre.html

But you could also buy a nice program called Acronis True Image and make a weekly backup of your entire hard drive. You can by it for less than $30 on Newegg right now. It is worth it's weight in Gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.