Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Share Fonts Folder Over Home Network

10K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  TheOutcaste 
#1 ·
From what I've read, it is by design that the Windows folder and all its subfolders cannot be shared. I understand the safety in that. However, I have a lot of fonts on our oldest PC on our network, running Windows XP, and I would like to be able to access its fonts on our other laptops at home. (I'm trying not to clutter up our newest laptop with a lot of unnecessary fonts!)

Is there any safe way to over-ride the non-sharing aspect of the fonts folder?

Thanks,
Lisa

#2 ·
Welcome to TSF!

You must be running XP Home, as XP Pro doesn't have that restriction.

Keep in mind, if you don't copy the Font files over to the laptops, they will not be available unless you are connected to the network, and the old PC is turned on. You might be unable to view any documents created that use any of those fonts when not connected to the network.

First, share any folder to enable File Sharing.
Then we'll use the Command Prompt to share the Fonts folder and give it a sharename of Fonts
Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type cmd, press Enter.
Type the following command and press Enter, there must be a space between the different colors:
Net Share Fonts="%SystemRoot%\Fonts"
Close the Command Prompt window.

Reboot to safe mode (Restart the PC, tap the F8 key as the system starts. When the Options menu is displayed, choose Safe Mode).

Navigate to the Windows\Fonts folder
Right click on the Fonts folder, click Properties
Click the Security tab.
Click the Add button.
Type Everyone in the box, then click Check Names to check for typos.
Click OK.
This will give Read Only access to the Font files.
You can grant Modify and Create permissions, but it's not recommended unless absolutely necessary.
Click OK
Click OK

Reboot. The Fonts folder will now be accessible from the other PCs,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.