Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

setup.exe using all cpu resources

This is a discussion on setup.exe using all cpu resources within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hi...my computer suddenly started running really slowly...i opened the task manager, and clicked on user name...something called setup.exe was using

Closed Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

hi...my computer suddenly started running really slowly...i opened the task manager, and clicked on user name...something called setup.exe was using all the cpu resources...and i don't even have a clue as to what program this file is linked to. at the time i was running google chrome, with my email client and facebook tabs open...when i wanted to open another tab, this is what happened. if anyone has an idea what this may be about, i would appreciate the help.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Something is being installed on your system. Either by you or by clicking a bad link and it self installing a virus. Please click on the Virus/Trojan link in my signature and post there for more help.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #3
Registered Member

thank you, i will do that

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BSOD - Driver Power State Failure
Hello, I am new to this forum, which I found online while searching for a fix to a BSOD I'm repeatedly having. I am hoping someone could help me out because it is getting extremely frustrating. The PC is used as a dedicated media center. So having the system go down multiple times during a...
conecommander BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 4 08-17-2011 08:18 PM
Windows7 BSOD DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
Hi, I have been trying to find out the reason for the BSOD, but to no avail. Please help. Attaching the Dump files. Thanks, Abhishek.
abhishek.ardey BSOD, App Crashes And Hangs 14 08-14-2011 03:01 AM
HP Compaq NC6230 chipset problem
hello, i have a problem with my HP compaq NC6230 notebook. i`m trying to fix it since a week, i`m going to describe what i actually did: 1 it did`nt want to work with the HDD (i think its got a very picky motherboard) and its always showed an error message "1782-disk controller failure" and...
Zs0lt Motherboards, Bios & CPU 7 07-18-2011 02:02 PM
CPU Fan Loud
I'm sorry if this is not the right place, but I have no idea where to put this. So, I've had this computer for about 2 years now, and recently the computer has been making some loud noises. Starting yesterday, the computer's been making very worrying buzzing noises. Through a variety of...
orionstar Overclocking 13 03-15-2011 05:59 AM
[SOLVED] Installed Win 7 - Case become loud
Hi all. I know that im profoundly deaf but im really not happy with my PC as i installed Win 7 and the noise started to raise since extracting windows installion and thought it will be gone as when Win7 loads but since win7 start. the case begin to get loud and loud. I can feel the heavy...
CrazyComputerMan Windows 7 Support, Windows Vista Support 9 02-24-2011 01:52 PM