Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

"setup cannot copy the file driver.cab"

This is a discussion on "setup cannot copy the file driver.cab" within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i'm attempting to installl windows xp professional (with service pack 3) x86 CD VL but during the installation i got

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

i'm attempting to installl windows xp professional (with service pack 3) x86 CD VL

but during the installation i got a message: "setup cannot copy the file driver.cab"

i kept pressing enter to have it retry, but it wouldn't work, so i went ahead & skipped the file

all the other files were installed properly & windows xp is setting up now...

now i understand i need driver.cab to be able to set up a home internet network initially so i'm just wondering is there any other way i can get the file & manually add it to my pc?

i also don't understand why the file wouldn't copy, i had previously ran DBAN (DBAN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) on the HD to wipe it off completely before installing a fresh version of windows xp

the cd is not scratched at all

Old 10-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #2
Registered Member

try using another OS-cos you may not be sure if it contains some scratches--when it reaches that point [it asks you to retry] try ejecting the OS when it reaches that point if you have some methylated spirit try wiping it with some on a soft cloth---return the OS and press ENTER to retry

Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

ok, i actually just copied & pasted driver.cab from the os cd to the c:\windows\i386\driver cache folder

now i'm having another problem, my ethernet controller driver is not getting detected and have to install it but i have no cd for it nor am i able to connect to the internet cuz its not being detected... how do i do this
Old 10-08-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

What is the make and model # of your computer?Did you finish the install? You do not need to install an Ethernet adapter until Windows has finished installing. Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc.In Device Manager, are there any devices with yellow marks? If so, these devices need to have drivers installed. If you have a name brand computer (HP, Dell etc) you can go to the manufacturers Support/Download Drivers site and type in your service tag # or your make and model # and download the driver for your specific machine. If you do not have internet on that computer, download it to another computer and save it to a USB Flash Drive and transfer it to this computer. Download and install the Chipset Driver first. If you have a custom build, you can look in the case at the motherboard and get the model # or download Speccy. Then go to the manufacturers Support/Download Drivers site type in the model # of the mobo and download the specific driver for that board. This will spare you the space and time to copy and paste the results in Speccy and will aid us in finding your specific motherboard and drivers
Closed Thread