Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

set variable based on output of seach string in batch

This is a discussion on set variable based on output of seach string in batch within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, I am trying to find a certain patter in a file which has the following format key1 ; value1

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,

I am trying to find a certain patter in a file which has the following format

key1 ; value1
key2 ; value2

and so on.

I intend to use the findstr command as follows

findstr /L key1 input_file

returns the following output

input_file:key1 ; value1

I need to be able to assign the value of "value1" into a variable "VAR1" that i can use in the script later. Any ideas as to how to do this. Or is there a better/easier way to get the same result.
As always your response/feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2005, 05:14 AM   #2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by

returns the following output

[B
input_file:key1 ; value1[/B]

I need to be able to assign the value of "value1" into a variable "VAR1" that i can use in the script later. Any ideas as to how to do this. Or is there a better/easier way to get the same result.
One way to get to the value1 is as follows

for /F "tokens=2,3,* delims=;" %i IN ('findstr /L "key1" input_file') do @echo %i

this is a special format of the "for" command, which is splitting the output of the "findstr" command working on the *.ctr file name and returning only one of the tokens presented to the FOR command.

My next step is to be able to assign the result of the "for" command to a variable that I can use later in the script. Any ideas. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2005, 05:30 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerardfjay
My next step is to be able to assign the result of the "for" command to a variable that I can use later in the script. Any ideas. Thanks.
The following command works from the command line interpreter window, however does not work when executed from a batch file.

for /F "tokens=2,3,* delims=;" %i IN ('findstr /L "key1" input_file') do call set var1=%i

I get the following error message when I execute this command from a batch.

i was unexpected at this time.

Any ideas. as to why this would work on a command line and not a batch file. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:33 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerardfjay
Any ideas. as to why this would work on a command line and not a batch file. Thanks.
The reason as to why the command did not work in batch is becase of the requirement of variables to be preceded by doube % signs in a "for" command when used in batch. Here is a version that will work.

@echo off
for /F "tokens=2,3,* delims=;" %%i IN ('findstr /L "key1" input_file') do call set var1=%%i
echo %var1%

Thanks. Jerardfjay