Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Search engines wont work/web pages wont open

This is a discussion on Search engines wont work/web pages wont open within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. The last two weeks I have had problems with my work computer. I basically can not open most web sites,

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Registered Member

The last two weeks I have had problems with my work computer. I basically can not open most web sites, or they will opwn painfully slow.
I also can not use any web serch engines, like google or yahoo. They all eventually time out when performing a search.

We use Trend Micro as our anti virus software, and I know most here in the office all have the same worm called: worm_downad.ad
Trend Micro is currently putting the infected files in quarantine. I'm the only one with the above problem though.

I do use Advanced Windows Care to keep my computer running clean.

Two weeks ago, when I first had this problem, I got a new IP address from our IT administrator, and my computer worked fine for a few days, before turning to its old ways.

Not sure if this is malware, a network problem or what. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:46 PM   #2
Registered Member

Update:
It seems that no browser will work. I've tried IE8, Safari and Chrome.
It often loads the banners on a website, but the rest (the main part) loads really really slowly.

Could it be something to do with active x or java script having difficulty loading?

Jesper

Old 04-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

My guess is either a virus or network security issue. You could check security settings on your browser to see if there turned up all the way or what if they are that could stop most pages and or cookies from loading way there supposed too. You could also try www.avira.com since you cant google they offer free antivirus or you could try panda suite free trial version www.pandasecurity.com then delete it after just a few reccomendations.