Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

SDelete

This is a discussion on SDelete within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Does anyone know how to get SDelete running properly. I have followed numerous instructions on the web but it will

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Does anyone know how to get SDelete running properly. I have followed numerous instructions on the web but it will not work I get the message "The system cannot find the path specified" or "SDelete is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". This happens when I'm going through the instruction process I've tried a few on the web now without any luck. I'm running XP home edition service pack 3.

Thanks

Old 09-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Where did you extract the sdelete.exe file to?
Did you add that folder to your path, or use the CD command to switch to that folder?
You have to add that folder to your path, or change to that folder first before trying to run it.
Or put the sdelete.exe file into the Windows or Windows\system32 folder.

If the name of the target folder\file you are trying to delete contains a space, you must put double quotes around the path.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOutcaste View Post
Where did you extract the sdelete.exe file to?
Did you add that folder to your path, or use the CD command to switch to that folder?
You have to add that folder to your path, or change to that folder first before trying to run it.
Or put the sdelete.exe file into the Windows or Windows\system32 folder.

If the name of the target folder\file you are trying to delete contains a space, you must put double quotes around the path.
Thanks Outcast. I'm absolutely lost here. I extracted SDelete in my documents and then added it to a new folder and renamed it SDelete I then made a new folder in the SDelete folder and named it Delete within the Delete folder I put in a document to do a Sdelete deletion. I typed in cmd in run and then I couldn't get it to work. I'm a novice at this sort of thing some instruction from the start would be great if you have time.

Regards
Old 09-19-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
Microsoft MVP

(<User Name> stands for your actual username).

so sdelete.exe is in C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\Sdelete
the file you want to delete is in C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\Sdelete\Delete\doctodelete.doc

When you open the Command Prompt, it normally places you in your User profile folder, C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\
to run the program you have to specify the full path to the sdelete.exe file, and the full path to the file to delete, so you have to type this to do a one pass delete:
Code:
"C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\Sdelete\sdelete" -P 1 "C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\Sdelete\Delete\doctodelete.doc"
You can use a system variable for your user profile folder, saves a little bit of typing:
Code:
"%Userprofile%\My Documents\Sdelete\sdelete" -P 1 "%Userprofile%\My Documents\Sdelete\Delete\doctodelete.doc"
Be much easier to put sdelete.exe into C:\Windows\System32, then you don't have to type the path to the file, the system will find it.

Then you can delete that file with these two commands, assuming the prompt shows C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>> when you open the Command Prompt"
Code:
CD "My Documents\Sdelete\Delete"
sdelete -p 1 doctodelete.doc
First line changes to the folder containing the item you want to delete, that way you don't have to type the path to it.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:

so sdelete.exe is in C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\Sdelete
the file you want to delete is in C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\Sdelete\Delete\doctodelete.doc

When you open the Command Prompt, it normally places you in your User profile folder, C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\
to run the program you have to specify the full path to the sdelete.exe file, and the full path to the file to delete, so you have to type this to do a one pass delete:
Code:
"C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\Sdelete\sdelete" -P 1 "C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\Sdelete\Delete\doctodelete.doc"
You can use a system variable for your user profile folder, saves a little bit of typing:
Code:
"%Userprofile%\My Documents\Sdelete\sdelete" -P 1 "%Userprofile%\My Documents\Sdelete\Delete\doctodelete.doc"
Be much easier to put sdelete.exe into C:\Windows\System32, then you don't have to type the path to the file, the system will find it.

Then you can delete that file with these two commands, assuming the prompt shows C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>> when you open the Command Prompt"
Code:
CD "My Documents\Sdelete\Delete"
sdelete -p 1 doctodelete.doc
First line changes to the folder containing the item you want to delete, that way you don't have to type the path to it.
Are the quotation marks needed and do I type everything in the wraps after C:\Documents and Settings\User name> Which is already there when I open the command prompt
Old 09-19-2010, 12:46 PM   #6
Microsoft MVP

if the path to the program or to the file/folder you are deleting contains spaces it must be in quotes.
You have to type everything that is in the Code boxes, changing the sdelete options for what you want to do of course.

To run the program you have three choices.
  1. Always type the full path to the sdelete.exe file
  2. Change to the folder where the sdelete.exe file is located, then you only need to type sdelete
  3. Place the sdelete.exe file in a folder that is listed in the path variable, like Windows\System32. Then you only need to type sdelete no matter what folder you are in.

To specify the file/folder to delete, you have two choices
  1. Always type the full path to the file/folder
  2. Change to the folder that contains the file folder you want to delete. Then you only need to type it's name
    You can't do #2 from both at the same time, unless sdelete.exe and the item you want to delete are in the same folder

To see what folders are on the path, just type Path at the prompt, this will list a semicolon separated list.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Ugh.
Why not just install eraser!

If you are not using sdelete for some automated deleting everyday you might as well just use Eraser.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
if the path to the program or to the file/folder you are deleting contains spaces it must be in quotes.
You have to type everything that is in the Code boxes, changing the sdelete options for what you want to do of course.

To run the program you have three choices.
  1. Always type the full path to the sdelete.exe file
  2. Change to the folder where the sdelete.exe file is located, then you only need to type sdelete
  3. Place the sdelete.exe file in a folder that is listed in the path variable, like Windows\System32. Then you only need to type sdelete no matter what folder you are in.

To specify the file/folder to delete, you have two choices
  1. Always type the full path to the file/folder
  2. Change to the folder that contains the file folder you want to delete. Then you only need to type it's name
    You can't do #2 from both at the same time, unless sdelete.exe and the item you want to delete are in the same folder

To see what folders are on the path, just type Path at the prompt, this will list a semicolon separated list.
It keeps giving me the message Documents is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
Microsoft MVP

what exactly are you typing? Did you put quotes around any path that contains spaces?
If you forget the first quote in the following, that is exactly ther error you would get
Code:
Old 09-23-2010, 05:32 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by technophobe1 View Post
It keeps giving me the message Documents is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
Would like to see the exact error message as well. Copy and past it here because you are not transcribing it correctly.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:57 PM   #11
Registered Member

I'm getting this message now:

The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect

I'm following the instuctions I've put in the quotation marks left in both < > with my name inside and typed in the doc to be deleted. I've typed everything in the wraps.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:15 PM   #12
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
The <User name> part including the < and > is to be replaced with your user name, the < and > symbols are not allowed.
So C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\SDelete
would become
C:\Documents and Settings\technophobe1\My Documents\SDelete for example
Old 09-23-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
TSF Enthusiast

May I ask why you are hell bent on using Sdelete? Eraser is well suited for this task.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashman View Post
May I ask why you are hell bent on using Sdelete? Eraser is well suited for this task.
It is because Eraser is stopping the Roxio software that came pre-installed on my computer working properly. It won't complete a disc burn unless I remove Eraser. The Roxio software I have is a fixed version from either Roxio or Dell I can't remember whom as it was few years ago.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
The <User name> part including the < and > is to be replaced with your user name, the < and > symbols are not allowed.
So C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\My Documents\SDelete
would become
C:\Documents and Settings\technophobe1\My Documents\SDelete for example
I will give this a try

Thanks Outcast
Old 09-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
It is because Eraser is stopping the Roxio software that came pre-installed on my computer working properly. It won't complete a disc burn unless I remove Eraser. The Roxio software I have is a fixed version from either Roxio or Dell I can't remember whom as it was few years ago.
How do you know this?
Why use Roxio at all. There is much better alternatives these days.
Old 10-03-2010, 07:19 AM   #17
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squashman View Post
How do you know this?
Why use Roxio at all. There is much better alternatives these days.
I know this because as soon as I removed eraser the roxio program worked normally again. Eraser was the most recent program I had downloaded and ran on my computer. It isn't worth me changing from Roxio my computer is old and the disc drive has a manufacturing fault I found this out long after the warranty had stopped. It works with Roxio and only burns to certain manufacturers discs it won't burn to dual layer discs.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:10 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
I will give this a try

Thanks Outcast

Thanks Outcast

I got it to work I was leaving the <> in and only typing my user name in once.

How many times can I overwrite a file with this? and can I overwrite unused disc space?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:07 AM   #19
Microsoft MVP

From http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/s.../bb897443.aspx
Quote:
Usage: sdelete [-p passes] [-s] [-q] <file or directory>
sdelete [-p passes] [-z|-c] [drive letter]
-c Zero free space (good for virtual disk optimization).
-p passes Specifies number of overwrite passes.
-s Recurse subdirectories.
-q Don't print errors (quiet).
-z Cleanse free space.
Doesn't say how many passes, but since the Command Prompt uses 32 bit signed numbers, the range is 0 to 4,294,967,295, with numbers over 2,147,483,647 being negative; 2,147,483,648 is -2,147,483,648 and 4,294,967,295 is -1. Using a negative number, the program doesn't end, and doesn't delete the file.
More than one or two passes would be overkill, each pass writes data three times per the standard SDelete uses:
Overwrite all addressable locations with a character, its complement, then a random character

Use -z to clear the free space.

Closed Thread