Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Running a Repair Install: How to help XP find the Previous Installation?

This is a discussion on Running a Repair Install: How to help XP find the Previous Installation? within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've attempted dozens of Repair Installations over the years, on hard drives that had failed for some reason. Most were

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #1

I've attempted dozens of Repair Installations over the years, on hard drives that had failed for some reason. Most were successful, but sometimes the XP Installation disk simply refused to see the data from the previous installation, even though it was right there.

In those cases, I'd just run a New Install and that would be that.

This time, however, I'd really like to help a Repair Install happen, as the time and hassle involved in fixing this particular laptop is going to be huge if I don't get a Repair Install to successfully complete.

The customer ran a New Install from the Recovery Partition of Vista over the old O/S which was XP. She wants XP back, and doesn't like Vista. The new Vista install is "fresh", in fact there is a problem with the Vista PW that has prevented the new Vista installation from booting to desktop.

GetDataBack shows all the old XP data is recoverable on the hard drive. I'm tempted to just delete the Vista O/S data, recover the XP O/S data, and try to run a Repair Install, but there's a part of me that thinks I need to shepard this thing through better. Do something with the boot.ini file maybe? Boot record? Not sure.

Could it be this simple, or is there more to it?

Thanks in advance,

John

Old 08-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi you could try the info here How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP not sure you will be able to do it since you have a fresh install of vista,did she reformat I ask as someone else may have some ideas but all the info would be helpful

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

John, I'll be frank. That is NOT the way to use a repair install and not something I'd even consider, if I understand you correctly. You're going to leave a mess of system files behind.

If she wants XP installed, delete everything on the installation partition (I would leave the Vista Recovery partition in tact) and do a fresh install.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Management Team Networking

Sorry but this statement makes no sense

"The customer ran a New Install from the Recovery Partition of Vista over the old O/S which was XP."

Recovery partition usually contains a factory image that when restored puts the unit back at factory defaults.

This begs the question which OS did this unit come with originally?

You certainly can try to get the xp install back. I would not delete the vista install though at this time.

Confirm you can get the xp install back first.

then us bcdedit to alter the boot to include xp

Vista: Use BCDEDIT to change boot up options (dual boot w/XP Prof) - Tech-Recipes
Old 08-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
- Microsoft Support
- Networking

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiSandro View Post
The customer ran a New Install from the Recovery Partition of Vista over the old O/S which was XP. She wants XP back, and doesn't like Vista.

GetDataBack shows all the old XP data is recoverable on the hard drive.
The way I read this, based on the info John's provided is: Vista is the original factory OS, XP was installed at some point and running, client did factory restore back to Vista but doesn't like it. John is now trying do to a *Data Recovery* method of bringing XP back. I guarantee this will turn into a mess.

Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wand3r3r View Post
Sorry but this statement makes no sense

"The customer ran a New Install from the Recovery Partition of Vista over the old O/S which was XP."

Recovery partition usually contains a factory image that when restored puts the unit back at factory defaults.

This begs the question which OS did this unit come with originally?
You are correct, my wording could have been more clear. The laptop shipped with Vista. The previous owner downgraded the laptop to XP, then sold it to my customer. She ran the Recovery Partition thinking it would reinstall XP, but found out instead she had Vista.

GetDataBack shows the XP data as being fully recoverable, in fact I'm not certain it was even overwritten, as GDB has a coding system for the recoverable data. It's not coded as "deleted", but rather it's being described as "compressed". I don't know if the Factory Restore took the XP data and compressed it somewhere into a single file, or what.

I'd like to try to recover the XP, if possible. I am aware of the possibility that it could become the mess Fred Garvin promises, but then this presents a unique learning opportunity for me. As I mentioned in the previous post, it has always bothered me when an XP disk would fail to see an XP installation when the data was obviously present. I've often wondered if the failure was the result of some file or other being missing, or having a wrong path in it, or whatever.

I plan on leaving the Recovery Partition alone. I may need it if my experiment fails. Any more advice & comments would be appreciated.