Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] RPC Server is unavailable

158K views 34 replies 3 participants last post by  ukbsktbll 
#1 ·
I have been having this issue. I came to my PC the other day and I couldn't connect to the internet. My first thought was to reset my modem/router. Did so and no changes. (This PC is connected directly to the modem). My phone and tv were connected to my WiFi so I checked the other PC directly connected and it was still connected to the internet. So I checked my network connection and it was showing limited or no connectivity. I tried to repair and it said IP address could not be renewed. So I tried to go into the command prompt and renew it. Thats when I got the error RPC Server is unavailable. I had never seen that error before. I did some research tried a few things and nothing seemed to work. I then figured I would try to access a prior system restore point. Well that worked but when I restart my PC it does back to having this issue.

The only thing I have done recently which I figure may have caused an issue was plug a laptop SATA HD into one of the slave spots. Needed to remove some files from it. I have done this before without any complications. I can't think of anything else that I have done differently.

#2 ·
Re: RPC Server is unavailable

Go to Start/Run and type services.msc and press enter. In the Services window, scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and double click it. Make sure the Startup type is set to Automatic and that the Service is Started. You may need to start the DCOM Server Process and the RPC Endpoint Mapper as well.

#4 ·

If the RPC server service is started you should be able to Renew the IP address in the Command Prompt. If not go to Start/Run and type regedit and press enter, make sure the following key is listed there
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs
If the RpcSs key is not listed go to a working computer and export that registry key and import it into this machine.
If the RPC server service is started, and the RpcSs key is in the registry, then go to the command prompt and type ipconfig /all copy the text and paste it into your next post.

#6 ·
#7 ·

so far I haven't had the issue yet since you made post #3. Normally when I restart after reverting to a prior System Restore Point the issue begins again. So I will return if it does happen again. Thanks for your help and I will try these things if it happens again. I just didn't want to act as if I was ignoring your advice since at the time if the issue has fixed itself then nothing else is needed. I will return if it happens again.

#9 ·

So issue came up again today. Here are screen shots to the info you requested earlier. I am able to do a restore point and everything work for a time. Also I have XP professional if that makes any difference. Let me know if I am supplying you with the correct information you need. Thanks

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)

Also I have been having an issue w Chrome. Not sure if this is related or an entirely new issue. I will have a few windows open. Then all of a sudden and new windows I open I can't use but the current ones that are open allow me to browse on the specific webpages I am on. Say I am on amazon and thats my only window open. I will be able to continue to browse on that site, but if I open a new tab once this issue arises It acts as though chrome stopped working. But if I try to type a different address on the tab amazon is open it won't work. Though my other browsers work fine. Plus if I reinstall chrome that fixes the issue too

Attachments

#17 ·

Sorry this issue comes back ever so often so I can't update my issue too frequently. But again my pc restarts w out being able to connect to the Internet. When I do a system restore it fixes it but that's always only temporary. Also when I do a restore it gives a pop-up related to the laptop hd I had previously plugged in. Do I need to do a complete reinstall of my xp? I can't think of anything that'll fix this issue.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)

From the symptoms you are having it sounds like maybe corruption in the HDD. Back up all important date then perform a check disk.

Go to "Run" type "CMD" at the command prompt type in...

Code:
CHKDSK /R
type Y for yes then manually reboot.

Let also see if you might have a failing HDD...

Downloading UBCD which is in my signature.Burn the ISO Image to a blank CD using Imgburn (How to burn a ISO Image using Imgburn) burn at lowest speed. With the newly burned cd boot with the cd go to HDD>Diagnostics>The make and model of your hard drive, Seagate, Maxtor, Drive Fitness which is Hitachi, Or Western Digital. Perform a short and long test. Could also be called "Standard" and "Extended" test or also "Comprehensive" test. The Seagate hard drive test will work on most drives.

#23 ·

I will try that. recently I have been having issues opening programs to where it says the program cant be opened. Though I have vista installed on the same HD and it works fine. I'll let you know the results of the HD scan

#25 ·

Seatools is more comprehensive and gives you the results of it's tests, or you can view the log. if you ran the Seatools Long test, it would have corrected any Bad Sectors.
chkdsk /R does the same thing, there is no need to run Check Disk after running Seatools. If you like, you can view the Check Disk log by going to Start/Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter. Click on Application on the Left panel and looking for the latest Winlogon entry.

#26 ·

Am I looking for WinLogon under source? If I don't see it. I do see a lot of red flags. So do you think a repair install is the next best option? And if so is the program I listed above a suitable backup source? Also viewing the link you sent me regarding a repair install does the info under the heading "Warning! #1Should you do a repair install and is it the best choice?" pertinent to me? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.