Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Restoring to Manufacturere defaults

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  CerealDave 
#1 ·
I want to restore my Compaq D315 Media Center PC to manufacturer's default because it's filled with adware and spyware, and I want a clean slate before I intall install some anti-virus/spyware. I went into system restore, and a ca calender comes up asking what date you want to restore to, but the current date is the only date that's clickable. I've tried on 2 different days, and the current date is the only one highlighted. I don't have a restore disk, and do no want to buy or order one from HP. I know that there's something you can do to completely restore the machine, becasie I just restored my other HP memdia center running XP media center edition, but I can't remember what I did (I had to play with it fora day or 2).

I did email HP, but it wasn't very helpful. They told me "Nakiesha, please be informed that formatting and fresh reinstallation of operating system would be a better option in this case as the unit is infected with virus". Then gives me a link for the nearest HP store.

I want to do this myself from home.

#2 ·
Don't know if this is on a Compaq or not.

Restoring Microsoft® Windows Vista® to Factory Configuration

Dell Factory Image Restore is an Option in the System Recovery Options Menu

The Dell Factory Image Restore option allows you to restore your hard drive back to its original factory configuration as when you first ordered it from Dell. This option appears on Dell computers that were originally pre-installed with Windows Vista™ and does not include computers purchased through the Express Upgrade promotion or computers that were upgraded to Windows Vista from another version of Windows.

Notice:
It is recommended that you back up your data before restoring your system, as this results in the loss of all user data.

Restore the Computer to the Default Factory Configuration

Notice
When you restore the computer to the default factory configuration, all data on the C drive is deleted. Before performing this procedure, back up personal files. If you do not back up personal files, the data is lost.

1. Restart the computer. To do this, click Start, click the arrow next to the Lock button, and then click Restart.

2. As the computer restarts, press the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options menu appears on the screen.

Note:
You must press F8 before the Windows logo appears on the screen. If you press F8 after the Windows logo appears, the Advanced Boot Options menu does not appear on the screen. If you do not see the Advanced Boot Options menu, restart the computer, and then repeat this step until you see the menu on the screen.

3. Press the (Down Arrow) to select Repair Your Computer on the Advanced Boot Options menu, and then press Enter.

4. Specify the language settings that you want, and then click Next.

5. Log in as a user who has administrative credentials, and then click OK.

6. Click Dell Factory Image Restore.

7. In the Dell Factory Image Restore window, click Next.

8. Click to select the check box for Yes, reformat hard drive and restore system software to factory condition.

9. Click Next. The computer is restored to the default factory configuration.

10. When the restore operation is completed, click Finish to restart the computer.

#3 ·
Hello nakiesha,

To do a full system recovery on the Compaq you will need to press <F10> at the Compaq

logo. This will get you into the recovery process. I advise you to make any backup that

you need as this will erase all data on the system. If the system doesn't have the

recovery partition the you will have to get the recovery media if still available from

HP. Good Luck

#4 · (Edited)
I have tried this on my Compaq Presario. I press <F10> when the Compaq logo comes up, and a blank screen comes up with a flashing cursor on the top-left hand corner, and nothing else happens. Is it supposed to do this? It also happens when I go Start > PC Help & Tools > Compaq System Recovery > Yes. I am using a recovery partition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.