Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

restoring system from system.sav

This is a discussion on restoring system from system.sav within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Toshiba laptop that has had its registry corrupted. The computer said it could not find c:\windows\system\config\system. I

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2003, 12:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

I have a Toshiba laptop that has had its registry corrupted. The computer said it could not find c:\windows\system\config\system. I used a Dell laptop XP CD to boot into a dos prompt that let me move files around. The first thing I tried was moving system.sav to system. This was fine except the registry in the .sav tells Windows upon bootup that it needs to continue setup. So I rebooted, and setup found the Dell XP CD and started "installing" things. It said there were about 30 minutes left I as far as I remember and I think it was on the next to last box.

I didn't know if the setup would delete anything, so I turned off the computer.

I next booted using the Dell CD again and moved the system file from the repair directory to the normal system file. It booted fine, but then would not let me login. It said there was a problem verifying license.

I have two questions based no two directions I see myself going next. I don't want to lose any personal data stored on the hard drive. I would like to know how to make XP bootable to the point where I can burn the data to CD then reload windows with the two Toshiba recovery CDs.

First, is there a way to bypass the licensing so that I could boot with the registry that seems to work minus the licensing?

Second, when you replace system with system.sav and XP setup starts running again, does it delete anything or just replace system files? I just need to get the system to a bootable point so that I can use the CD burner.

What is the best method for making the system bootable?

Is all the licensing stuff stored in the registry, or have I completely ruined everything by using a Dell CD to boot to a command prompt?

Thanks!!! **KOOLMAN