Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Restore to factory conditions

This is a discussion on Restore to factory conditions within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I need some help with restoring my computer to factory condition. I've had some trouble with spyware and other issues

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

I need some help with restoring my computer to factory condition. I've had some trouble with spyware and other issues and want to just start from scratch. A fresh start. My computer is an Emachine T3422, and it didn't come with any install disks for windows. The OS is partitioned, but I don't know how to make my one copy for the install disks. I'm pretty new to this, so any help is much appriciated.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Registered Member

Even if I don't get a detailed response, can someone point me in the right direction?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:07 AM   #3
Administrator
Microsoft MVP

Team Manager
- Networking
- Microsoft Support
- Hardware

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

When you first turn on the power . . do you see a prompt to "Press XXXXX to restore the system" or something like that ( different verbage for different manufacturers )

When you look at the hard drive, do you see partitions? . . if so, tell us how they are described.

eMachines offers online support here where you can ask them what to do

Old 01-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yes, I know how to restore windows, but only from a cd. When I go to the restore option before windows loads, it requires that I insert the install cd, but there is none.

The partitioned drive is labeled "Restore" and is about 4 GB. How can I create my recovery disks?

And Emachines isn't very helpful. There's no straight forward answers (not a big surprise) and when I try the email options for help it gives ne an error when I fill out the form and try and submit.

Yeah, I'm full of complaints. lol
Old 01-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Registered Member

Angry

How do I reinstall windows? I have an Emachine T3422. Emachines website is getting me nowhere and I've been working on this problem for over a week. The computer came with NO install disks for windows, only a partitioned drive labled recovery. I want to start back to a clean, factory condition windows.

Please Help!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #6
gone

That's the purpose of the Recovery disk, to bring the system back to the condition it was from the factory. Not a very good option, considering there could have been other alternatives. Why I would never buy a pre-built computer.

What happens when you try to run Recovery disk ?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by witchlocke View Post
How do I reinstall windows? I have an Emachine T3422. Emachines website is getting me nowhere and I've been working on this problem for over a week. The computer came with NO install disks for windows, only a partitioned drive labled recovery. I want to start back to a clean, factory condition windows.

Please Help!!!
Hello

On certain models of Emachines you can access the recovery partition

by pressing <F11> at the boot screen. May be worth a try
Old 01-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

No need to start two threads about the same issue, please read the forum rules about multiple posting. I merged your threads.

Most eMachines have a recovery partition. Like already said you should be able to start the recovery process without any CD by repeatedly pressing some key at startup, probably F11.

When a brand computer doesn't come with any recovery disks there's usually a preinstalled program in the start menu that allows you to create the backup/recovery disks.

If there's no such program and you can't find the proper key to press at startup to access the recovery partition then eMachines should send you a recovery CD for free (or just shipping fees) if you contact them.

If the e-mail form doesn't work there are other ways of contacting them :

http://www.emachines.com/support/pro...s&model=T3422#
http://www.emachines.com/support/options.html
http://www.emachines.com/support/international.html
https://support.gateway.com/support/..._emachines.asp

eMachines - Telephone Technical Support
Customer care representatives are available 5 AM to 12 midnight PT seven days a week.
United States 408-273-0888*
Canada 604-637-1419*

Closed Thread