Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[Resolved] tvt_gina.dll

This is a discussion on [Resolved] tvt_gina.dll within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi! I would like to logon using the Windows Welcome Screen with no password (Windows XP); however, due to the

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi! I would like to logon using the Windows Welcome Screen with no password (Windows XP); however, due to the above-titled problem file, which I can't seem to delete, I cannot use the option under "user accounts", "change the way you logon and logoff". I have done searches and found suggested fixes but none of them seem to permanently delete this file. I also cannot seem to find the file it is attached to although many say it is part of the security settings. Lenovo/IBM preinstalled WinXP for me; therefore, Microsoft won't support it, or will at $79 min. This computer is two weeks old and has been a headache from the beginning. Thank you in advance and take a cue from my experience and don't buy Lenovo! --Karen

Old 06-14-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

Hi,
I don't know much about this dll, but what I have seen googling it you might be safer living with it. However, there are third party deletion software that might be able to delete it. There is also this route
http://dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm
Which I could not get to work for me in the past on a file I was trying to delete. Haven't had another problem file to try it on yet. Do you have installation cds incase something goes wrong? If not I would live with it. Hopefully someone else knows a work around.

Vista Repair
Downgrade Vista
Old 06-14-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thank you very much for this quick response! I will try your suggestion. I could live with it, but my employer, whose computer I am referring to, cannot. This problem is driving him crazy; therefore, it is driving me crazy! Thanks again for replying. --Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinbard View Post
Hi,
I don't know much about this dll, but what I have seen googling it you might be safer living with it. However, there are third party deletion software that might be able to delete it. There is also this route
http://dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm
Which I could not get to work for me in the past on a file I was trying to delete. Haven't had another problem file to try it on yet. Do you have installation cds incase something goes wrong? If not I would live with it. Hopefully someone else knows a work around.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:07 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

LOL! Another employer sponsored "you hosed my pc" scapegoating!
Vista Repair
Downgrade Vista
Old 06-14-2007, 08:09 AM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Don't know anything about that file either. Kinbard is right : there are ways to delete it but you shouldn't mess with it unless you have a backup ready in case something goes wrong, especially if you've read somewhere that it was related to some security settings.

How about contacting IBM about that file ?
Old 06-14-2007, 10:19 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Don't know anything about that file either. Kinbard is right : there are ways to delete it but you shouldn't mess with it unless you have a backup ready in case something goes wrong, especially if you've read somewhere that it was related to some security settings.

How about contacting IBM about that file ?
Thanks for responding. IBM/Lenovo, which pre-installed everything that is on the computer, will send me Windows re-installation CDs. That's the total of the support they offer. Microsoft says that since my Windows was installed by the manufacturer, they don't support it. Argh!
Old 06-16-2007, 08:52 PM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus, Articles Team

Hello, Karen, and welcome to TSF.

1. Microsoft is right in not supporting Lenovo's WinXP. This is a fundamental term governing OEM Windows - it is the computer's manufacturer/builder responsibility to provide all and any support.

2. Lenovo won't help you at all if the media they're sending you are (as almost 100% chances are) Recovery CDs/DVDs - because recovery media are exact images of the pre-tweaked Operating System that has been installed in your laptop, and they revert the PC in the identical state it was when it left the factory (which, unfortunately, means pretty much what you're currently stuck up with). Typically, OEMs do not use or deliver plain Windows installation media.

3. What you're experiencing is the result of a third-party utility having replaced the standard Graphical Identification and Authentication file (Msgina.dll) which is used by WinXP. So, the only thing you need to do is not to delete that new GINA, but rather to remove from your system's registry information the "directive" to use that third-party DLL. In order to do so:

a. Start menu > Run > type regedit > press OK.

b. Locate and remove the following string value from the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GinaDLL

c. After you do so, Windows uses the default Graphical Identification and Authentication file (Msgina.dll).

d. Restart and post back how it went.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:15 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thank you very much for your helpful response. I appreciate what you said about the Microsoft/Lenovo connection. You are correct in stating that Lenovo has sent me two sets of recovery disks when what I was expecting was just the Windows CD(s). I am so glad I did not go through the effort of using those disks and then being in the same place with nothing fixed!

Your "cure" below makes a lot of sense. I followed it to the letter. The problem is that although I delete the value for GINA.dll, it comes back. This happened to me a while ago when I tried this fix as suggested when I first found this forum and searched for "tvt_ginal.dll" but I had to try again because your email just sounded so logical and I thought maybe I had done something wrong the last time I tried it.

I have restarted and rebotted and removed the value string but in all cases, the tvt_gina.dll comes back.

I don't see any way to "save" changes to the registry. Perhaps I need to do something after deleting the value to make it stick?

Again, I appreciate what you wrote and I hope you will write again. I feel very close to the solution.

[QUOTE=Zazula;944719]Hello, Karen, and welcome to TSF.

3. What you're experiencing is the result of a third-party utility having replaced the standard Graphical Identification and Authentication file (Msgina.dll) which is used by WinXP. So, the only thing you need to do is not to delete that new GINA, but rather to remove from your system's registry information the "directive" to use that third-party DLL. In order to do so:

b. Locate and remove the following string value from the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\GinaDLL
Old 06-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #9
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Ok, so that file was tvt_gina.dll, not txt_gina.dll as in the title of the topic. No wonder kinbard and I couldn't find any info on it

No big deal, I'll see if I can have some moderator change the title of the thread.

I'll leave the rest to Zazula since I don't know much about GINA, but I'll add the link to the other forum you used so that everyone knows what you've already tried :
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...4209b3b5ae96da

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdyer View Post
I have restarted and rebotted and removed the value string but in all cases, the tvt_gina.dll comes back.

I don't see any way to "save" changes to the registry. Perhaps I need to do something after deleting the value to make it stick?
You dont' have to make anything more in the registry to save your changes. All changes you do there are in real time. It's pretty likely to be one of your IBM softwares that automatically recreates that entry at startup.

You might try to temporarily turn system restore off after you've made the change and reenable it only after you've restarted the computer but this would erase all your current restore points and I would first wait for someone else to confirm that it could help.

It seems that two users got the problem solved by doing the following :
Quote:
1/ booted into Safe Mode (repeatedly press F5 during startup, if F5 doesn't works try F8)
2/ ran regedit from command prompt (start => run => regedit)
3/ modified two (2) registry entries:

a) HKLM\Software\IBM\TVT\Gina > deleted the value "Plugins"
b) HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon > deleted the value "GinaDLL"

4/ exited regedit
5/ exited command prompt
6/ restart
If Zazula confirms it's safe you might try that. In the mean time I would strongly suggest you create a system restore point and backup your registry to make sure nothing goes wrong. You can use Erunt to backup the registry.

If that still doesn't work, we'll probably need to uncheck some startup items and services via msconfig.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:58 PM   #10
Registered Member

Thank you for adding the link to the other forum.
Please note that this forum topic is called:

Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support > tvt_gina.dll

My initial post used tvt_gina.dll but, in a response, someone used "txt_" Therefore, no moderator intervention is necessary.

Thanks also for the method you quoted. It did not work for me. The first item, to go to ...IBM\TVT..., I could not find TVT under IBM. The second, to remove the value string for GINA.dll, I have tried several times and the tvt_gina.dll value comes back.

I am grateful for the time and assistance I am receiving on this. I am so upset with IBM/Lenovo that I would like to return the computer but my employer seems to not want to do that--probably because of the 15% restocking fee and the cost of returning the machine.

Quote:
Ok, so that file was tvt_gina.dll, not txt_gina.dll as in the title of the topic. No wonder kinbard and I couldn't find any info on it

I'll leave the rest to Zazula since I don't know much about GINA, but I'll add the link to the other forum you used so that everyone knows what you've already tried :
http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic...4209b3b5ae96da

You dont' have to make anything more in the registry to save your changes. All changes you do there are in real time. It's pretty likely to be one of your IBM softwares that automatically recreates that entry at startup.

You might try to temporarily turn system restore off after you've made the change and reenable it only after you've restarted the computer but this would erase all your current restore points and I would first wait for someone else to confirm that it could help.

It seems that two users got the problem solved by doing the following :

If Zazula confirms it's safe you might try that. In the mean time I would strongly suggest you create a system restore point and backup your registry to make sure nothing goes wrong. You can use Erunt to backup the registry.

If that still doesn't work, we'll probably need to uncheck some startup items and services via msconfig.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:11 PM   #11
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdyer View Post
Please note that this forum topic is called:

Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support > tvt_gina.dll

My initial post used tvt_gina.dll but, in a response, someone used "txt_" Therefore, no moderator intervention is necessary.
Believe me, your initial topic was really called txt_gina.dll. GeekGirl (our moderator lady) was quick on the spot and modified the title of your first post 30 minutes ago. But as I said it's no big deal, it's just to make sure anyone with the same problem as yours will be able to easily find the thread via a search

Sorry for not providing any further help now, I'd rather wait until Zazula comes back on the case before trying anything else.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:40 PM   #12
Registered Member

Thanks! And, thanks to GeekGirl.
I did manage to delete the value string for "plugins" at Lenovo (and not IBM as stated on the fix you quoted). And, of all things, deleting the value string at GINA.dll "took". Problem: Now, it says my logon dll is missing. Therefore, I can only restart and get back into safe mode but I don't know what to do now. I understand about waiting for Zazula especially since now I don't know whether to put back in the plugins string I deleted or that string, tvt_gina.dll at gina.dll!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:56 PM   #13
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

That's why you should always backup your registry first before changing anything in it. Another solution is to export the entry before you delete it but even then you won't be able to merge that entry back in the registry if the computer refuses to boot after your changes.

Try to load the last known good config in the same menu as safe mode and see if you can get back to normal mode. Once you are in normal mode, do create a restore point (all programs => accessories => system tools => system restore) and do make a backup of your registry with Erunt as I advised earlier. Then make a copy of that backup on an usb drive, an external drive or a CD.

The registry is the very first layer of Windows. You should by no mean change anything in it unless you really know what you're doing, or you're being told by someone who knows. I'm not someone who knows about that particular IBM stuff so try to restore your normal mode then freeze ! until someone wiser than me comes here
Old 06-18-2007, 08:35 PM   #14
Registered Member

Mistake

You are right on all counts. "Last working configuration" does not (or did not) take care of the logon problems experienced because I deleted ginadll and plugins. I know what was in ginadll and I presume I could add that back into the registry (ginadll...tvt_gina.dll) but I did make a big mistake by not noting what the value string was for plugins. Yes, you did advise me to back up the registry. I even could have taken the plugins value string and cut and pasted it into Word or lots of other places. There is a feature to add as well as delete. Grrr! Very unnecessary step backwards.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Reinstalling the related software would probably repair those registry settings. Go to add/remove programs and tell us about everything that came preinstalled with your Lenovo laptop. Then on Lenovo's website you may be able to redownload the latest version of that software and reinstall it.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:44 AM   #16

Karen, sorry it took me quite some time to get back to your issue, but I didn't have the chance to log in TSF undistracted, until just now.

Please boot your Lenovo M Series in safe mode and do the following:

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility
a. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
b. The System Configuration Utility dialog box appears.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options
a. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
b. Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
c. Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
d. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
e. Click the Services tab.
f. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
g. Click Disable All, and then click OK.
h. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows
a. Post back if you were able to log in Windows.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:36 PM   #17
Registered Member

Here goes:

Access Help
Adobe Reader 7.0.9
Client Security Solution
Atmel TPM Driver Installer 3.03.15
Diskeeper Lite
Help Center
High Definition Audio Driver Package KB888111
Intel(R) Active Management Technology LMS Service and SOL Driver
Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerast Driver
Intel(R) Management Engine Interface
Intel(R) PRO Network Connection Drivers
InterVideo WinDVD
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
J2SE Runtime Environment 6 Update 1
Java (TM) SE Runtime
LiveReg (Symantec Corporation)
LiveUpdate 2.6 (Symantec Corporation)
Message Center
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Hotfix (kB886903)
Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager Update
Microsoft Office Small Business Edition 2003
Microsoft SQL Service Desktop Engine 9MICROSOFTSMLBIZ)
Mouse Suite
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB927978)
PC-Doctor 5 for Windows
Picasa 2
Productivity Center Supplement for ThinkCentre
QuickTime
RealPlayer Basic
RecordNow Audio
RecordNow Copy
RecordNow Data
RegCure 1.4.0.4
Registry Genius v2.0
Remove Multimedia Center
Sonic DLA
Sonic Express Labeler
Sonic Icons for Lenovo
Sonic Update Manager
SoundMAX
Symantec Client Security
System Migration Assistant
ThinkVantage Productivity Center
USB Enhanced Performance Keyboard Software
Viewoint Media Player
Windows Installer 3.1 (KB893803)
Windows Internet Explorer 7
Windows Live Toolbar
Windows Media Connect

And, I added AOL (my employer started with it and I guess he'll die with it).

Thanks again! --Karen

Quote:
Reinstalling the related software would probably repair those registry settings. Go to add/remove programs and tell us about everything that came preinstalled with your Lenovo laptop. Then on Lenovo's website you may be able to redownload the latest version of that software and reinstall it.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #18

ThinkVantage Technologies (TVT) is used on the following (actual versions may vary):

Rescue and Recovery with Antidote Delivery Manager V3.0
System Information Center V1.2
Software Delivery Center V1.1
ThinkVantage Productivity Center V1.01
Client Security Software V5.4
Client Security Solution V6
Fingerprint reader V4.6
ThinkVantage System Update V1
Old 06-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #19

My intention has been, if you successfully log in Windows after my suggestion for a clean boot, to uninstall all the TVT software listed in my post above.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #20
Registered Member

Because I became obsessed with fixing this Lenovo (but really wanting to cut it up into little pieces and ship it back to Lenovo), I fiddled around (dangerous, I know) and this is now what happens:

Computer locked: Press ctrl-alt-del to unlock. [My employer would like to have the computer unlocked.]
"Administrator" user name shows up. That is the only user name I can use. Others give me "authentication failed" messages.
Typed in Administrator password and then computer opens the desktop.
(GINAdll...tvt_gina.dll is apparently back since I cannot use "change way users logon and logoff" at the user names screen from control panel.)

I will happily do as you suggest if it will get me further than the above. Appreciatively, Karen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazula View Post
Karen, sorry it took me quite some time to get back to your issue, but I didn't have the chance to log in TSF undistracted, until just now.

Please boot your Lenovo M Series in safe mode and do the following:

Step 1: Start the System Configuration Utility
a. Click Start, click Run, type msconfig, and then click OK.
b. The System Configuration Utility dialog box appears.

Step 2: Configure selective startup options
a. In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Selective Startup.
b. Click to clear the Process SYSTEM.INI File check box.
c. Click to clear the Process WIN.INI File check box.
d. Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
e. Click the Services tab.
f. Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
g. Click Disable All, and then click OK.
h. When you are prompted, click Restart to restart the computer.

Step 3: Log on to Windows
a. Post back if you were able to log in Windows.