Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[resolved] Great, new error. SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

This is a discussion on [resolved] Great, new error. SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Figuring as I now have resolved the old problem, and was immediately confronted with the new I figured I would

Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 04:21 AM   #1
Registered Member

Figuring as I now have resolved the old problem, and was immediately confronted with the new I figured I would start a new post. I have a Windows XP home sp1 on a mediocre-bad box. I was pretty randomly confronted with a ntdll.dll error, and was able to replace it with a new one using the xp cd recovery console. Upon fixing of this error, while the system was loading up xp(after the bios), i was confronted with a new STOP error that I have absolutely no idea how to fix. Granted that i have not installed new hardware or software and have played around with my bios, the computer gets the same message in safe mode. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

__________________________________________________ ______________
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

If this is the first time you've see the Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000071 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

__________________________________________________ _______________

Old 04-13-2005, 04:31 AM   #2
Superhuman Computer

My System

I think I know the cause of the problem, but the solution I'm not so sure about.

That stop message is part of the Phase 1 Initialisation - normally caused by:

"outdated firmware, corrupted system files, or an incompatible HAL type"

As you've just replaced a system file, I think this might well be the cause. Sounds like a version problem perhaps?

How did you get the ntdll.dll file onto your computer?

Old 04-13-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
Registered Member

I ended up using the xp cd recovery console to copy the file from a floppy to Windows/System32/, where it replaced the old file successfully, I could try it again i guess, and redowload the file and recopy, incase any errors occured. Alternatively, is it possible to use BIOS or the xp cd Recovery Console to burn a cd(I have a cd/rw drive that is capable of doing such and I have done it before with burning software). I would do this to salvage some important files I want to keep and then reformat + reinstall the O.S anew.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsanelyConfuse View Post
Figuring as I now have resolved the old problem, and was immediately confronted with the new I figured I would start a new post. I have a Windows XP home sp1 on a mediocre-bad box. I was pretty randomly confronted with a ntdll.dll error, and was able to replace it with a new one using the xp cd recovery console. Upon fixing of this error, while the system was loading up xp(after the bios), i was confronted with a new STOP error that I have absolutely no idea how to fix. Granted that i have not installed new hardware or software and have played around with my bios, the computer gets the same message in safe mode. Can anyone help me? Thanks.

__________________________________________________ ______________
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

SESSION5_INITIALIZATION_FAILED

If this is the first time you've see the Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x00000071 (0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

__________________________________________________ _______________
Old 08-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Registered Member

I got this error message this morning and i really think the mother board is trying to die cause i have had numerous blue screen error messages this year and i finally got the dough to get a new hard drive and the blue screeen stoppped for about a month.I play games very hard and its about 4 years old any way and its a dell.And i cant get it to detect cd roms either when it did work,and now before the blue screen message appeared i was getting boot up message did not detect hard drive did not detect cd rom device,..not in those words though. (( session5_init """"""_failed))