Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[Resolved] Computer restarts during boot up

This is a discussion on [Resolved] Computer restarts during boot up within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently got a new case for my computer and now when I boot up, it gets to the Windows

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via AIM to Ryu Hitokiri

I recently got a new case for my computer and now when I boot up, it gets to the Windows Logo with the loading bar, then restarts. I can't even access safe mode. Even my parents hard drive does not work in mine, but it still works in theirs (Windows XP). This makes me think this is a hardware issue. Any ideas?

Note the power supply I am using is 300W, and the CPU cooling fan I am using both are the default that came with the eMachines. The Zalman and Corsair are coming in the mail this week.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:09 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Please someone I need this fixed ASAP.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:35 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Are you sure you have everything wired properly (front panel leads, did you use posts to keep the motherboard off of the case itself, no loose connections)
Old 06-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Hi Ryu Hitokiri and welcome to TSF !

Could you explain your case a little bit ? What changed between this computer and the previous one ?

If you got a new case with a new motherboard and simply hooked your old drive in it, don't expect it to boot that easily. Windows is currently trying to access the devices using the old motherboard layout, which results in a hang during the loading screen. Is this what you're trying to do, starting Windows from an old system disk that you haven't formated on a new computer ?

I'm only making guesses here, if this is not your problem, then give us more details so that we know a bit more.

Edit : if only the case is new, then it will be like Chevy said : grab your manual and recheck all the cables. Try to troubleshoot the motherboard outside the case to make sure it's not shorting with the case.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:46 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
Hi Ryu Hitokiri and welcome to TSF !

Could you explain your case a little bit ? What changed between this computer and the previous one ?

If you got a new case with a new motherboard and simply hooked your old drive in it, don't expect it to boot that easily. Windows is currently trying to access the devices using the old motherboard layout, which results in a hang during the loading screen. Is this what you're trying to do, starting Windows from an old system disk that you haven't formated on a new computer ?
If RYU did get a new motherboard, then he'll need to buy a new Windows license (can't transfer OEM licenses, and that's all that E-Machines sells).
Old 06-25-2007, 05:49 PM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

I missed that bit Chevy, thanks (I'm not very litterate on eMachines, we don't have that here). Then we'll have to wait until Ryu explains a little more and confirms what exact changes he made.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I missed that bit Chevy, thanks (I'm not very litterate on eMachines, we don't have that here). Then we'll have to wait until Ryu explains a little more and confirms what exact changes he made.
That's why I got your back!

FYI - any preinstalled (Dell, HP, Emachines, etc.) comes with OEM Windows.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Sorry, I was playing a game. Thanks for the responses guys!

Everything is the same as before, just a new case (and soon to be CPU cooler and PSU). Since the motherboard didn't have a manual I just connected the things the old case had with the new cases wires (Power SW, HDD LED, USB, 1394, and the AC97 Audio. I have the motherboard on risers if that is what you are asking.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
Not...

Hi,
Did the PSU come with the case? Are all the fans in the computer spinning?
Old 06-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

If you know the exact model of the e-machine the motherboard comes from you'll be able to find what the motheboard is on e-machine's website. Maybe they'll have a manual there.

You should unplug everything that's not needed for the computer to boot and start from there. Leave only the cpu/fan/heatsink, one stick of ram and the video card if it's not integrated in the motheboard. You don't need the audio, usb, 1394, ... wires. Hook only the system drive and see how far it goes now.

This article may help :
http://www.techsupportforum.com/arti...es-part-i.html
Old 06-25-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
Registered Member

My System

Yes the PSU came with my machine and all the essential fans are spinning.

I can't find anything on their website. It's an eMachines Desktop T5020.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #12
Not...

I think you should try another PSU, maybe the Corsair 520W mentioned in your profile.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
If you know the exact model of the e-machine the motherboard comes from you'll be able to find what the motheboard is on e-machine's website. Maybe they'll have a manual there.

You should unplug everything that's not needed for the computer to boot and start from there. Leave only the cpu/fan/heatsink, one stick of ram and the video card if it's not integrated in the motheboard. You don't need the audio, usb, 1394, ... wires. Hook only the system drive and see how far it goes now.

This article may help :
http://www.techsupportforum.com/arti...es-part-i.html
This is what I had connected and it didn't work.
Power - mobo, Pentium 4, DVD, SATA drive
Motherboard - DVD, SATA drive
Case - Power SW (AC97 because I couldn't pull it out behind my graphics card)
External - Mouse, Keyboard, VGA, Power

If this helps any, my monitors LED is orange when I turn it on, and becomes green when it goes through the start up routine. Also, it says Windows has had a recent software or hardware change and it gives me the options to boot Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Network, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Load Last Good Configuration, and Start Windows Normally and none of them work - the computer always restarts.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:49 AM   #14
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Make sure all the power leeds going to the motherboard are tight and secure.

Make sure the cpu fan didnt shift.

Reseat the ram and video card [ if there isnt onboard ]

Try a different power supply.
Old 06-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #15
Registered Member

My System

Well I just got my Zalman today and hooked it up, still doesn't boot. It still doesn't let me boot into safe mode, last good config, or normally. Right before it restarts it makes a little double beep. Can someone list all of the possible problems so I can test them one at a time?

I'm trying to think because it didn't work with my parents hard drive either, but it worked on mine. It also gets as far as recognizing the OS because it goes to the Windows XP Logo screen. So this is 100% a hardware issue, can someone confirm that? Can someone narrow down the hardware that could be failing?
Old 06-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #16
Registered Member

My System

Can someone please just make a list of what hardware could be failing?
Old 06-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #17
Not...

Did you remember to reapply thermal paste between the CPU and its heatsink? If not you have to do that ASAP.
If that doesn't help - try another PSU.
Old 06-27-2007, 04:55 AM   #18
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by eneles View Post
Did you remember to reapply thermal paste between the CPU and its heatsink? If not you have to do that ASAP.
If that doesn't help - try another PSU.
Yes and I was very generous with it, both the CPU and the Heatsink. It said it was good for 10 applications but I put so much on I think it probably has 1 left. Hopefully my new PSU will come today or tomorrow. Can someone please still make me a failing hardware list?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:02 AM   #19
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

It's not a good idea to be generous with thermal paste. You only have to apply the size of a grain of rice on the cpu. The pressure from the heatsink will spread the paste properly. Don't apply thermal paste on both the heatsink and the cpu. Check this link : http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

I doubt this would be the cause of the problem though, but applying too much thermal paste is not something to do.

Do you still have your old case ? Why did you decide to buy a new one ?
Old 06-27-2007, 05:49 AM   #20
Registered Member

try booting the computer with bare minimum components: case, mb, cpu, ram, video card and hard disk. and of course kb, mouse and monitor. unplug all others like dvd, burner etc. if still fails, either your mb is shorting with case somewhere, or you've kill something from static charge, or the ram and video card are not seated properly. try re-seating ram and video. double check the kb and mouse are in the correct ps2 sockets. lastly try another ram or mb outside case.