Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

[RESOLVED] Audio Balance Problem

This is a discussion on [RESOLVED] Audio Balance Problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. A few days ago my audio started drifting to the left after I'd been listening to for awhile. Then a

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Registered Member

A few days ago my audio started drifting to the left after I'd been listening to for awhile. Then a little later it will sometimes bounce back and forth, but it mainly stays on the left.
Any suggestions on what is going on and how to (hopefully) fix it would be much appreciated.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:22 PM   #2
Human Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulfie View Post
A few days ago my audio started drifting to the left after I'd been listening to for awhile. Then a little later it will sometimes bounce back and forth, but it mainly stays on the left.
Any suggestions on what is going on and how to (hopefully) fix it would be much appreciated.

If U have opened Sounds in Control Panel and configured your options and sliders with no results, U might try reinstalling your sound drivers.

Also, if this is a desktop---it may not B---if U R using desktop speakers, as opposed to say speakers in a flat panel screen, usually not good....try pulling the plug from yr tower, rebooting and then putting plug back back and letting Windows install the speakers anew.

And, if desktop speakers....r they relatively new?

It ain't where you go, it's where you're coming from.
Jill
Old 08-24-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

We need to know the details about your speakers and sound card.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
Registered Member

The speakers are JBL Platinum series, that came with the computer.
From what I could find the sound card is ESS Allegro PCI Audio.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:20 PM   #5
Registered Member

I might also say that I always use headphones since the computer is in the living room.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #6
Human Individual

So Beo, U have HP desktop? Presario?

first try everything without yur headphones. Looks as if yr speakers R way bettan than my cheap Alecs from Newegg....twice the price. Tho I luv my Altecs.

If issue persits without the headphones, which is my take cause I am sure U have alreayd done step one, right? Then again, pull the speaker pin from the tower....gently, I mean. Reboot, reinsert the pin and let Windows reinstall yr speakers.

I think maybe sumthin just not making contact.

Pls report back.

If this doesn't fix....I might suggest U let Windows look for bettah drivers for yr sound card. but let us not get ahead of ourselves. This feels like sumthin mechanical 2 me. Let us rule out the simple stuff first.

Jill
Old 08-27-2007, 06:35 PM   #7
Registered Member

Airesjill, thanks for the suggestion. I did it and it seems to have done the job.
I waited a little while to make sure, since the other day it was ok but after an hour or so it started up again. I've listened for a couple of days and all seems to be well(knock wood!)
Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:38 PM   #8
Human Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulfie View Post
Airesjill, thanks for the suggestion. I did it and it seems to have done the job.
I waited a little while to make sure, since the other day it was ok but after an hour or so it started up again. I've listened for a couple of days and all seems to be well(knock wood!)
Thanks again.

I knocked. On the wood. Good job!

By the by....after knocking, I played it. Knock on Wood. amazing, Classic R& B track by Eddie Floyd. Before 64 track over dubbing. When faking/tweaking was not an option. I ain't kiddin.

Would sound amazing on yr newly healthy system.
Little taste: http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/wind...1-WMLO,00.html

Jill
Closed Thread