Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

repair problems

This is a discussion on repair problems within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Ok So I'm having a bit of a problem and to warn you I know very little about computers. I've

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 05:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

Ok So I'm having a bit of a problem and to warn you I know very little about computers.

I've needed to do a repair so I've entered the bios and altered the settings to boot from a cd. It's then got to the screen about the windows set up and pressed enter not repair and then it goes to a blue screen saying windows xp home edition setup and freezes the numbers on the bottom don't change either. Any ideas what to do?

Jen

Old 05-04-2008, 05:14 AM   #2
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

hi jen, how old is the pc that you are installing windows. are you using the recovery cd or any other cd. check that the cd is clean and it doesn't have any scrayches or dirt, this usually causes the problem. alternatively you can put the cd onto another computer and get the files and burn an image iso file.
isit possible that you can get a cd from another friend and use that and see if you still get the sam problem.

are there any errors you are getting, is that why you are reinstalling windows. try this
when you enter the setup press enter
then press r and do a repair install and this will not cause you to lose any work either.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Registered Member

Heya the pc is about 4 yers old. Im using the recovery cd that came with my computer. The cd is clean and not damaged.

When I'm on the blue screen at the bottom it says:

examining 76317 MB Disk 0 at ID on bus 0 on atapi

When I've read up elsewhere it says that this could mean my hard drive is F***ed. I can't get past the set-up point it goes to the screen which says press enter or press r or cancel so i pressed enter because I was told not to press r. I had tried pressing r though and it came up with the same message on a blue screen.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 AM   #4
Security Team
Visiting Trainee (247)

hi, yeah by the looks of it the hard drive it gone. these are the options you have left
find another computer and use bartep to make a bootbable cd and backup your data.
http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

option two would be is to take out the hard drive from this computer change the jumper which is the little pin in the middle and make it slave. put the hard drive on another computer use the ide cable and then you can do a disk check.

you can also try this when your pc is booting press f8 to ge the advance utility or f6 try f8 first and choose safemode + command line and there if it does work
type chkdsk /r
chkdsk /p

also when your pc is booting press f1, del, or f10 depending on the bios and check that your hdd is detected. another option is to replace the IDE cable but i wouldn't recommend that unless you know what you are doing.

best options is to make a bootable cd using bartpe backup your data and purchase a new hard drive or the other options mentioned above.

here is a good video

but if you are unsure get someone with some knowledge to do it. i am sorry i couln't be more of help but i hope everything goes well.
farad