Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

removing icons in the bottom right of screen

This is a discussion on removing icons in the bottom right of screen within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, I have an icon in the bottom right of my screen that won't go away. I can't find it

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 07:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi,
I have an icon in the bottom right of my screen that won't go away. I can't find it in the add and remove programs screen. So where is another place that programs are stored and how do I find it and get rid of it?

Old 02-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Hi, welcome to TSF

Right-click the icon and select Properties. What does it say for Target and Start In? If the 2 boxes are empty, post a desktop screenshot showing the icon. Someone might recognise it.

watch?v=CBVFpYN0iNo
Old 02-21-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

If it's one of the icons in the system tray then it was probably loaded at startup. Go to start => run and type msconfig. Go to the startup tab and the related item should be there. Careful with what you choose to remove there, search bleepingcomputer's database if you're not sure.

If there's nothing there then look in start => all programs => startup.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 AM   #4
Registered Member

Yes, it was there in msconfig - run. The only option i had was to unclick the box beside it. Does that erase it from my computer though?
Old 02-22-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

No, it just stops it from loading at startup, but it might not be safe to disable it in msconfig. What's the name of the program?

watch?v=CBVFpYN0iNo
Old 02-22-2008, 06:50 AM   #6
Registered Member

It is x3 watch. It is a program i downloaded from the internet to monitor not so innocent websites that are visited from the computer. However, it doesn't work.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:59 AM   #7
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

It would be better to uninstall the program rather than disable it at startup. Open Windows Explorer and see if you can find it in the Program Files folder. Is there an uninstall.exe or something similar?

I use the McAfee Site Advisor addon for Firefox to monitor dodgy sites. It's not quite the same thing as X3 Watch, but you might find it useful. Another good one is WOT (Web Of Trust).

watch?v=CBVFpYN0iNo
Old 02-22-2008, 09:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

Is that just my computer - c drive - windows folder? I have a ton of .log extensions in there. are those good for anything or can I erase them?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:52 AM   #9
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

No, it's My Computer > C > Program Files. Click the [+] next to the folder to expand it, then scroll down til you find the X3 Watch folder. Click it and there should be an uninstall exe file.

I'd leave the logs and any other files in the Windows folder. Removing them without knowing where they came from could be dangerous.

watch?v=CBVFpYN0iNo
Old 02-22-2008, 09:56 AM   #10
Registered Member

OK. I found the folder and opened it. The only exe file is x3watch.exe. There is a register.ini and a fileid.dat file there as well. should i delete the file?
Old 02-22-2008, 10:01 AM   #11
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

I'll have to leave it to the Windows team to help you further, I'm not sure about this one. Usually deleting the file manually causes problems.

In the meantime, until you get another reply, disable it in msconfig and reboot. This is only a temporary measure to stop it loading. It still needs to be uninstalled properly.

watch?v=CBVFpYN0iNo
Old 02-22-2008, 11:18 AM   #12
Registered Member

Hello. It seems that this is considered malware and is not good for your computer.

So, its best to remove completely. If you run the install file again, it may give you the option to uninstall (if you don't have the install file you can get it here - http://www.download.com/X3watch/3640....html?sb=3&v=1 )

If that doesn't work, and its not present in ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS then do a scan with a spyware removal tool such as Spybot - http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html

Let us know how you get on with it. Good luck.