Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Reloading software problem

This is a discussion on Reloading software problem within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #1
Registered Member

Am using older Dell with XP Professional w/SP 3. I get “Java Virtual Machine cannot be loaded” error when trying to re-load HP 3500C series scanner software. If I try to scan, I get “communication error” when trying to use scanner.

I’m unable to find good working copy of older “msjavax86.exe” software to install (understand MS & Sun had a slight disagreement over the Virtual Machine software). Have currently removed scanner software and Java software (Java 7, Update 10) from computer, plus have unchecked the 3 “script options” from Internet Explorer. Computer had to be rebooted last night with above configuration due to power outage on island where I live.

Need help in direction to go from here to get scanner working again
Thanks
Topbaba

Old 01-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi and welcome to TSF did you try here for the driver and software and also the troubleshooting and help pages for info on the issue HP Scanjet 3500c Scanner series*-* Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center check the links to the left of the page

Eliminate all other factors, and the one which remains must be the truth.
joeten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Good morning Joeten,
Perhaps I should say “Good Afternoon” since you are 8 hours ahead of my time zone. Thank you for your reply to my problem. I have looked over the troubleshooting information on the site you suggested, but still have not been able to find anything to correct my problem. To give you a better idea of what I face:
When I try and load the scanner software, I get about halfway through the installation and this error message pops up “Unable to start the application-the Java Virtual Machine could not be loaded. Class not registered”. My only choice is to check “OK”. The software continues to load and when finished, a message pops up that says it was loaded correctly.
When I try and scan, I get the communications error “An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again”. I’m sure I get this message because of the earlier Virtual Machine error message. I have tried a new scanner cable to no avail.
The best thread that I can find on this problem is at this site. I have had no reply since I listed my problem (at bottom of comments under “Baba1”) HP Answers: Unable to start the application-the Java Virtual Machine cannot be loaded. Class not registered. When installing HP scanners HP printers HP Softwares
I am not a computer geek and know enough to only be very dangerous to myself if I try to sail too far into unknown waters!
Topbaba
Old 01-13-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi see if any of the java help pages can give you some insight Java Help Center

Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

Have checked this site before, but just checked it again but found nothing that dealt with the virtual machine. Think it may be connected somehow with old MS virtual machine vs the Java virtual machine????
Old 01-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #6
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

They may be able to help using the report link here Where can I get the latest version of Java 6?
or try the info here and see if you can enable it http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/doc...vasettings.pdf

Old 01-13-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
Registered Member

Went to the two web sites you suggested. Re-installed the latest version of Java (Java version 7, update 11) and made sure that Java was installed with proper check mark per their instructions. Reloaded scanner software but same error messages appeared.
Old 01-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hi what version of java is the program trying to install for the scanner

Old 01-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
Registered Member

Don't understand the question. Yesterday I installed what I understand is the latest version of Java (Java 7, update 11) and the scanner software is hp scanjet 3500C series "HP photo & imaging software" version 1.0 for windows. The scanner software is on the original CD install disk that came with the scanner.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Go to Start/Run and type appwiz.cpl and press enter. Uninstall all HP Scanning software. Then run JavaRa and uninstall all versions of Java. Restart. Now install the latest version of Java. Then download the HP scanner software do not use the CD.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:09 PM   #11
Registered Member

I have now corrected my Java Virtual Machine error problem and no longer get the error message when loading the scanner software (found good copy of older MS Java Virtual Machine software). My only problem now is my communication error message (“An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again”) when I try to scan a picture or document. The scanner will scan a picture to the printer ok.

The scanner shows up ok in the device manager (under Image & Devices) and also shows ok in the Control Panel (under Scanners & Cameras).

Under Internet properties, I HAVE NOT checked the 3 script notifications.

Have remover current Java software from computer (Sun/Oracle)

Have changed cables and inputs which didn't help.
Any ideas???
Topbaba
Old 01-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

Hp has a large page of things to do HP Scanjet 3500c Scanner series*-* HP Scanjet Scanner - Resolving USB Scanner Initialization and Related Communication Error Messages - c01275876 - HP Business Support Center
some you may already have done

Old 01-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
Registered Member

Have tried most of the things on this page before, but will start from the beginning again to see what happens...Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
Registered Member

Joeten,
Have now tried everything on the above hp site, but still get the communications error. There is an additional hp site bps3850 that addresses this problem but it involves editing the Windows Registry, which is something I am not comfortable in doing.
Any other ideas????????
Old 01-29-2013, 08:48 AM   #15
Microsoft-Team Manager
Hardware - Team Manager

To be honest I 'am out of options for this, the reg fix may be a option lets get some more opinions

Old 01-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #16
Registered Member

Opps...the correct hp web site as I mentioned above should read "bps03850" which addresses the potential reg fix.