Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Reinstalled XP but can't connect to the internet

This is a discussion on Reinstalled XP but can't connect to the internet within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, on my main PC I have recently reinstalled XP in order to solve a number of bugs that I

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, on my main PC I have recently reinstalled XP in order to solve a number of bugs that I couldn't clean up.

It seems to have installed okay but I can no longer connect to the Internet. When I go to network connections the connection 'appears' to be there, but when I look at specific detail such as IP address the windows are blank.

If I right-click on the connection there is an option to repair, but when I try this I get the following message:-

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: Failed to query TCP/IP settings of the connection. Cannot proceed. For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.

I have phoned my ISP but when I couldn't give them an IP address they were unable to help me.

Does anybody know how I can get this connection working again?

Some details:-
Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0

Please let me know if any other information would help.

Many thanks!!!

Old 12-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #2

Go to Start/Run and type devmgmt.msc and hit enter. In the Device Manager, is there a yellow mark next to the Network Adapter? If so then you need to download the driver from the computer manufacturers support web site. If there are no yellow marks then go to Start/Run and type CMD in the command prompt type ipconfig /release and hit enter, then type ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter. Now type ipconfig /renew you should have a new IP address.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

thanks Spike. Sorry for the delay but I am helping my dad round at his house so we have only just tried it.

There was no yellow mark against the adapter in device manager, so we went on to the next stage which was ipconfig, however, this does not seem to do anything. Whenever we type ipconfig followed by any command it only says 'Windows IP Configuration', there is no additional information or actions being carried out. This was the same for /release /flushdns and /renew.

Again when I look at the device in network connections it says connected but there is no IP info and we still get the original message about TCP/IP when trying to repair.

Any further suggestions would be gratefully received

Many thanks
Old 12-07-2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Registered Member

Did you install the drivers for the network card?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi, the computer was built for me by a colleague but unfortunately I am no longer in contact with him. This is why i'm a bit stuck at the moment...

I'm not sure what the manufacturer would be in order to download a driver - is there any way I can find out what make it is or what driver i need?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:12 PM   #6
Registered Member

hi, I have a similar problem.

It started after i Re Installed windows xp, that went smooth as, But when i went to network connections nothing was there(no icons and couldnt start connection wizzard).
I downloaded network controllers n installed them then tried to connect to my modem(wired).
The status was "limited or no connectivity".
I then changed my ip address and default gateway manually, and the status changed to connected.
I then tried once more to connect and still no luck.
I cant even access my modem settings.
I tried a "winsockfix" thing that i found on another forum, which everyone was getting good results with, and still got nothing.

I have one pc running wireless through the modem which connects to the internet no problems.
The one I am trying to get going is directly wired to the modem.

Open to any suggestions

Thanks in advance
Old 12-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #7

Download and run this program It should tell you the manufacturer and then you can Google it to find where to download it. Other then that, open the case and look at the motherboard. There should be a model # and Name of the board. go to motherboard manufacturers site to download the driver.
Old 12-09-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
Registered Member

thanks very much - we got hold of a driver and all is now well..

cheers

Old 12-09-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Registered Member

If you guys still having this kind of probloem, just simply update ur network card driver