Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Reinstall XP with an older version

This is a discussion on Reinstall XP with an older version within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have XP Pro installed at the moment, But im having problems with start up so i want to Reinstall

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
Registered Member

Exclamation

I have XP Pro installed at the moment, But im having problems with start up so i want to Reinstall a Clean copy of XP to my computer.
The problem is the Cd copy of XP that i have is an older version and it won't let me install it normaly.
Can anyone help me with some advice on the best way around this problem?
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:42 AM   #2

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

Could you be more specific??? What version of XP you are running now and which one you are trying to install???
Second, how you are trying to install XP: Directly through system or booting from CD when you restart your PC???

Old 06-03-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Welcome to TSF....

This older version is it an OEM like for a Compaq, Dell etc. or is it a Microsoft install disk or a copy of one of these?

Can you give some system specs on the computer you want to install this on?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:44 PM   #4
Registered Member

At the moment i have Xp pro Sp2 installed. The Copy of Xp that i have on CD is just Xp. I tried installing it normally through the system and it didnt let me it said The version of windows is an older version, You can install it by booting it from Cd. So i tried that and booted it then a screen came up with Profile 1. Press enter, So i did but it just started up as normal it didnt intsall.

The reason i want to install windows again is because:

After a virus warning windows is having problems loading task bar Start menu and icons. I can still use the computer but i have to run programs through the Task manager.

I tried a Microsoft Auto Fix tool. It stated
AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2008-06-01 20:04:48]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 2) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: Problems
>> Repair << [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]
Step: Starting the Shell Hardware Detection service.
Result: The wizard ran into problems while trying to start the Shell Hardware

Detection service.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

the system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation.

So i thought id just Get a clean coppy installed. I hape this is enough info if not let me know and ill try and get you more.
Thanks for your Help!!
Old 06-04-2008, 01:28 AM   #5

OS: xp pro sp3, 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Server 2003, Server 2008, VMware vCenter Server

My System

Send a message via MSN to vladimirb Send a message via Yahoo to vladimirb Send a message via Skype™ to vladimirb

I am not sure you can install Windows XP over newer XP SP2 through system...
To boot it from CD, make sure in BIOS you have DVD/CD as first boot device... After you restart PC, after POST screen it will prompt you to press any key to boot from CD... Then it will load setup and you just follow the instructions... If you can not do that, tell me and I will give you link how to install windows XP...
Hope this will help you...
Old 06-04-2008, 06:11 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Please answer ThorXP's questions, we'll give you the instructions for a retail installation and a retail install CD, but they won't work with an OEM operating system (preinstalled by the manufacturer, usually on brand computers) and they won't work with a laptop.

Tell us more about your system specs, you'll need to reinstall all your drivers once Windows is installed. What's the brand and model of the computer ? If it's a custom build then check the "posting system specs" link in my sig.

If by clean copy you mean format the drive (you'll lose everything that's on the hard drive so make sure you've backed up your data on another physical drive) and reinstall from scratch then you can do that with your plain XP CD. Make sure you use the CD that was used originally to install XP on that computer (or double-check that the version corresponds to your product key).

Boot on the XP CD (enter the BIOS at startup and change the boot order priority to CD-rom first) and press enter to setup Windows now. Accept the licence and don't choose to press 'R' to repair the selected installation. Instead delete the existing partition, create a new one and reinstall.

You shouldn't get an error message about the version of XP but if you do you can either :
- wipe the drive with a dban floppy or CD so that no traces of the previous operating system are left when you start the installation process
- create an XP SP2 CD and use that CD to reinstall.

I would advise you to use an XP SP2 CD anyway, it'll be cleaner and will take less space than installing XP then SP2. You could also create an XP SP3 CD right away, but you'll need to start the slipstreaming process from the previously created SP2 CD or from an SP1 CD. You can't slipstream SP3 on an pre-SP1 CD.

If you had a virus on that computer I would use another computer to create the XP SP2 or XP SP3 CD. Make sure you run a complete virus scan on the backup before restoring your files on your computer.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:22 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky1_1979 View Post
At the moment i have Xp pro Sp2 installed. The Copy of Xp that i have on CD is just Xp. I tried installing it normally through the system and it didnt let me it said The version of windows is an older version,
The highlighted area is what I am asking about, I will make it easier you say The Copy of Xp that i have on CD is just Xp Is this a legal version of windows xp or a copy of it that is not on a Microsoft disk?

Closed Thread