Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Reformatted, and now no internet! The Derp Storm is comming.

This is a discussion on Reformatted, and now no internet! The Derp Storm is comming. within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there. My mom's HP Pavilion zv5000 (+4 years old) has been running slow for a year or two now,

Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there.

My mom's HP Pavilion zv5000 (+4 years old) has been running slow for a year or two now, so I decided to reformat it for her. I threw all of her files onto my external harddrive and then proceeded by booting up with the OS CD. Then the Critical Update CD, followed by the 2 Driver CDs.

After about an hour, I had it done. Then realized there was no internet connection. Pushing the wireless button located at the top of the keyboard (normaly lit blue) did nothing. I tried plugging into the router, nothing. Then into the modem, again, nothing. I spent the past 4 hours googling and searching everywhere for a solution, i found some people had results, but it seems this occurs when you reformat (not the notebook itself). It has no IP address and I also tried updating drivers by saving them on my external harddrive then running them into C:\swsetup (where I read they should be). Nothing worked.

From what i read about this specific computer, however, is that I only have 2 or 3 internet "chips" or drivers (not sure, derp). In the Device Manager, it lists; "1394 Net Adapter" and "Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC". I'm missing (I don't remember the exact name) a broadcom WLAN one. I tried replacing the ethernet cables as well. ISP is shaw, D-Link N 300 router (DIR-615), and a Motorola modem I believe came from shaw.

If anyone has any idea what I should do, I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks so much!

Old 01-15-2012, 05:45 AM   #2
- Microsoft Support

When you plug network cable into the laptop (from the router or modem) do you see a green and amber light? Look on the bottom of the laptop and get the full model number i.e. "HP Pavilion zv5009AP"

You should then be able to find the rest of the drivers from here:
HP Pavilion zv5000 Notebook PC series*-* Download drivers and software - specify product name - HP Business Support Center

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #3
Registered Member

I see nothing on the bottom that refers to a make of the zv5000 series. Just an xp os sticker. However, while waiting for a post, I reapplied both of the driver CDs and tried pdating drives multiple times. Wireless is still not working, but plugged in it works now (when I went to double check the lights). I went to their site and as far as I can tell is its th first of the series, being zv5000.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:25 AM   #4
- Microsoft Support

That's good you at least have wired connectivity. There are multiple drivers for WLAN so you may just have to try each one to find one that works.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:26 AM   #5
Registered Member

I guess the main thing is, the driver updates worked from the HP site. The problem is 1 of the connections isn't "here" anymore. There should be a Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN network adapter, but its not there. That particular driver is the wirless one and I can't "Update Driver" when it's not in the Device Manager. I've tried running the setup with no success.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 AM   #6
Registered Member

Actually what I can try and would recommend to people in my place, is to get the Broadcom Device Manager so it can identify your make and model and what drivers you need exactly.

I did bring it over to her computer with my external HDD, but it needs internet connection to work. Yay working wired hehe. I sure hope I can fall asleep after 8hours working on what should of been a simple reformat.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
Registered Member

Well, I still havn't managed to get it. The adapter is nowhere to be found. Someone suggested installing the driver, booting bios and then reload defaults. Nothing yet.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #8
Hardware Tech Team

My System

Are you still showing problems in Device Manager (post a screenshot if possible)

What is listed under Network controller in Device Manager?

Check in the BIOS to make sure that wireless adapter is not disabled.

When pressing the wireless button (above the keyboard) does it change?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

I've been trying to find a driver for th Network Controller. Its not updated (didn't realize what it was aat first). How do I check if th adapter is disabled? Reboot and setup? The wireless button does nothing.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #10
Registered Member

I just installed sp28537 for the Network Controller. It's no longer in the device manager, however, my Broadcom adapter FINALLY is. Now, I hope I only need to update it with some driver I already have downloaded.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
Registered Member

I have never seen this before, but now the wireless connection is going through a little red icon in the tray, "raido". It was never like that before, but I guess if it works it works! Hehe. Thanks for all the help.

To sum it up for anyone that comes with this problem....

Download Unknown Devices at halfdone.com. It's a program that tells you exactly what adapter your computer has and what you need because sometimes manufacturors make mistakes. Then get the driver for that (starting with Nethwor Controller), then onto your network adapters.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Hardware Tech Team

My System

So is the wireless finally working?
Old 01-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

Red mark means the Wireless is Disabled. Go to Control Panel/Network Connections right click the disabled wireless and Enable it.

Closed Thread
Gear in this thread