Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Recovered files not working

This is a discussion on Recovered files not working within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I accidentally formatted one of my partitions . I used Power Data Recovery to recover my files (250GB worth). It

Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

I accidentally formatted one of my partitions. I used Power Data Recovery to recover my files (250GB worth). It recommended that I save to another drive, but I didn't have one available so I proceeded on the same drive. It recovered all the files, but most of them don't work. None of my word documents, video files, or rar files work. They all give errors when I try to open them. But all my mp3s and picture files work perfectly fine. My main question is, is there a way I can get the non functioning files to work properly? My secondary question is, why are only certain types of files affected? I hope I didn't just lose 200GB+ of data. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old 03-24-2008, 04:33 PM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Moderator, Microsoft Support

My System

Hi pobasted and welcome to TSF !

Most of the data you delete by accident is still on the drive until it's overwritten by other files. First thing to do when this happens is to turn the computer off and refrain from using that drive. By saving the recovered data on that same drive you probably overwrote your own files which means a second recovery attempt has very few chances to succeed.

When attempting to recover some deleted data one should always slave his drive to another computer. Simply running Windows and installing the recovery program on the drive you just formated will already overwrite some of your data.

I would hook your drive to another computer first time you have the chance (use an external USB enclosure if needed, it only costs 15-20$) and retry the recovery process. There are other free file recovery softwares on the net :
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/restoration.html
http://www.recuva.com/
http://www.mispbo.com/datarecovery.htm
etc...

The Ultimate Boot CD for Windows also has some recovery utilities, but remember that you'll need another hard drive to save the recovered data to.

There are some utilities around (don't know one in particular but google will give plenty hits) that allow to repair corrupted .doc, .avi or .rar files but I wouldn't bet too much on them.

Sorry I don't have better news
Closed Thread