Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Recognising HDD size in XP

1K views 17 replies 4 participants last post by  Deleted090308 
#1 ·
I have just upgraded my PC & replaced my old HDD with a 320 GB HDD. When trying to load & partition XP it only offers me 128 Gb, yet the BIOS recognises 320GB. I suspect the problem is caused by my old copy of XP....is there anything I can do to overcome this or should I partition using 128 Gb & then upgrade to SP2 which will allow me to utilise all the HDD size?

#2 · (Edited)
First I would try the upgrade to SP2, Also you should check your motherboard spec's and see what the maximum for a hard drive is for that board... Motherboards do have some limitations on maximum size of hard drives. If your getting around 120gb's now that might be your MAX for that board and chip set!

You also might check on updates for your bios.

#10 ·
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA M56S-S3 with an AMD ahthlon 5000+ Black CPU.
This may sound a stupid question but how can I load SP2 if I haven't loaded XP yet. I didn't want to install XP until I was sure that subsequently loading SP2 would then free up the extra HDD space.

#17 ·
Just for the having it I would suggest using this to make your partitions larger or smaller and not use partition magic. Do some reading on the site to learn how to use it and you want to get the live cd as a download for this and burn the ISO file to disk then reboot into it and away you go

GParted - Gnome Partition Editor

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.