Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Random crashes - White screen!

This is a discussion on Random crashes - White screen! within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, twice in the last 24 hours my pc has completely crashed. The screen goes white and I have to

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:32 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Hi, twice in the last 24 hours my pc has completely crashed. The screen goes white and I have to unplug and replug to start up again. I don't even get the blue screen of death!

Both times it has happened while internet browsing but not because I clicked anything (I didn't). My wireless internet connection has been suspiciously weak recently so I've been running a few tests and one of them told me that I should update the drivers for my network adapters and my graphics card, which I did. However, upon restart, the graphics were screwed. Now this is where my mistake might have been made I decided to use the system restore feature in XP which seemed to work fine for a few hours until the first crash. I'm only speculating that all this has caused the problem but it seems to be the most obvious possibility.

Today I've run an antivirus scan, a few malware scans aswell as CCleaner but it crashed again later.

I'm guessing that a HijackThis log won't be much use here so please could you tell me what info you guys need to help diagnose the problem.

Thanks.....Richard

Old 07-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #2
Roaming To Help

Hi Richard

The HJT log is assessed by a separate sub-forum on this forum, and I don't see how it would help you seen as this looks like a hardware issue yet.

Can you boot into Safe Mode? (press F8 after POST then choose)

If you can get into that menu, choose Last Known Good Configuration from there and see if that works. If not choose Safe Mode.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

Thanks Kalim. I've rebooted with F8 and selected 'Last Known Good Configuration'. Seeing as the problem only happens occasionally, it might be a while before any problems occur. I'll post back here tomorrow if everything is still ok or beforehand if it's not

Thanks.....Richard
Old 07-08-2007, 04:12 AM   #4
Roaming To Help

No problem Richard. Let's see how that goes.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Registered Member

My System

It's looking good Kalim I had my pc running for most of yesterday and not a single problem.

Thanks for your help, I'll remember that tip in future

Richard
Old 07-09-2007, 12:30 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

I may have spoken too soon. I've not had another random crash but my 'system standby' is playing up. If I select 'Start>Turn Off Computer>Standby' I get a blue screen indicating a stop error (IRQL Not less or equal).

The Stop code is:

0x0000000A (0x00000016, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x8050055C)

In Windows Event Viewer it is logged as Category 102, Event 1003 System Error.

I've had similar problems in the past but I thought they were fixed

Do you think this could be related to my original problem, and what should I do about it?

Thanks.....Richard
Old 07-10-2007, 03:04 AM   #7
Roaming To Help

Hi

That's usually a driver, memory, or other hardware error associated with pagefile memory space.

Try this:-

1) If you have a GPU (video card), uninstall its driver using Driver Cleaner Pro>restart your system>download and install the latest drivers for that GPU.

2) If you have onboard video, then look for your motherboard make/model and its latest drivers on the motherboard manufacturers website. Install them>restart your system.

3) Download Memtest86+, burn the downloaded ISO image file onto a CD using software such as Nero and the reboot your system with the CD inside. When it restarts, on the first black screen (POST) press F8 (some may be F4) and it'll give you a boot from menu. Choose "boot from CD-ROM" as the first bootable drive and hit enter. Then Memtest should run and display its screen. Give it 3 or so hours and let it run fully. See if any and how many errors show up.

4) Open Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View>Hide protected operating system files (uncheck)>Yes>OK>Apply>OK

Some new files should appear everywhere across your HDD, usually hidden and critical.

Then right-click My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Write debugging Information>Small memory dump (choose)>OK.

Then staying under the Advanced tab>Performance>Advanced>Processor Scheduling>Programs (choose) - Memory usage>Programs (choose) - and Virtual Memory>Change>Click C: drive>No Page File (choose)>Set>OK>Apply>OK.

Then restart your system.

Now after restarting, go into C:\ and look for a file called pagefile.sys. Delete it.

Then go back into My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change>Click C: drive>System managed size (choose)>Set>OK>Apply>OK.

Then restart your system. See if you now get any errors.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:29 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Kalim, I've DL'd DCPro and I've read the readme file. It's telling me to remove the ATI driver from Add/Remove programs but when I try I get a balloon that says 'Error Initializing'. My question is, is it the same thing to uninstall it via Control Panel>Performance&Maintenance>System>Hardware>Device Manager? I want to be sure that this option is safe and that it is what I should do?

Sorry for asking a probably basic question :)

Richard
Old 07-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #9
Roaming To Help

Hi Richard

Yes, give it a try through Add/Remove. It should clean it, as long as you restart after doing so. No need to apologize.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
Registered Member

My System

ok, I've got the new drivers successfully installed. I've DL'd Memtest and I will run it tomorrow because I need my computer at the moment. I'll report back tomorrow once I've done that and completed your other instructions.

Thanks.....Richard
Old 07-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #11
Registered Member

My System

I'm having trouble booting from my memtest disc. I am able to get to the 'boot from' screen, I select CD-ROM then the correct drive but the computer still boots into windows!

Have I DL'd the right memtest file? - I dl'd the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) which I unzipped and burnt the ISO file to disc.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:22 AM   #12
Roaming To Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octorod View Post
I'm having trouble booting from my memtest disc. I am able to get to the 'boot from' screen, I select CD-ROM then the correct drive but the computer still boots into windows!

Have I DL'd the right memtest file? - I dl'd the Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) which I unzipped and burnt the ISO file to disc.
If it's not booting from the CD, then either CD is corrupt or more likely, the image wasn't burnt/wasn't burnt successfully.

You downloaded the right version. Try burning at a slower speed and leave verification on.
Old 07-11-2007, 04:37 PM   #13
Registered Member

My System

I burned a new memtest disc and it worked. I ran it for about 5 hours and it came back with 14 passes and no errors One thing I did notice is that it said that ECC was disabled. I don't know what ECC is but should it be disabled?

Then I went into Windows Explorer>Tools>Folder Options>View and found that 'Hide protected operating system files' was already unchecked. So I left it. I then did all of this:

Then right-click My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Startup and Recovery>Write debugging Information>Small memory dump (choose)>OK.

Then staying under the Advanced tab>Performance>Advanced>Processor Scheduling>Programs (choose) - Memory usage>Programs (choose) - and Virtual Memory>Change>Click C: drive>No Page File (choose)>Set>OK>Apply>OK.

Then restart your system.

I then searched C:\ for pagefile.sys. but the search came back with nothing!
So that's where I am at now. I haven't done this yet...

Then go back into My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance>Advanced>Virtual Memory>Change>Click C: drive>System managed size (choose)>Set>OK>Apply>OK.

...in case I need to go back and do all of stage 4 again.

So, should I complete your instructions even though there is no pagefile.sys. to delete? Or should I go back and try stage 4 again?

Thanks.....Richard
Old 07-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #14
Registered Member

My System

ok, since my last post I have completed your instructions even though it didn't go exactly as suggested (see above). However, now, instead of getting the blue screen of death the system gets stuck on the 'Preparing to Standby' page. I have to move and click the mouse randomly to move it on. Once, it went back into windows but reported an error and other times it has eventually gone to Standby, but only after much mouse wiggling!

So I'm afraid that my 'System Standby' is still not working

Like I said in my last post, maybe Stage 4 of your instructions didn't work right on my system. I'd gladly try it again or anything else you suggest.

Thanks.....Richard
Old 07-12-2007, 10:23 AM   #15
Roaming To Help

Hi

No Memtest86+ errors is good.

ECC is just parity RAM - it is for better data security but slower and more expensive, and hardly used in normal home desktops. Your RAM won't probably be ECC.

When you went to My Computer>Properties>Advanced>Performance>Advanced>Virtual Memory> what did you find under "Total Paging Files for All Drives"?
Old 07-12-2007, 10:42 AM   #16
Registered Member

My System

I'm pretty sure that it was set to 'System Managed Size' but I don't know what the total paging file size was.

Right now it is:

Minimum allowed : 2mb
Recommended: 1341mb
Currently Allocated: 1341mb

Sorry I didn't register what it was set to before I changed it.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:56 PM   #17
Roaming To Help

Have you gotten any new BSODs yet?

They would help with knowing the error immensely. Wait for a BSOD now and then I'll present you some more information on how to debug.

It could be a PSU problem...

Also list your system specs following this: http://www.techsupportforum.com/558208-post1.html

For the meanwhile, install this and see if it helps: User Profile Hive Cleanup Service
Old 07-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #18
Registered Member

My System

- No, I've not had a BSOD at all today.

- I installed that UPH Cleanup program and it seems to have worked I have had two successful standby's since installing it! It looks like the problem might be fixed

I'll post back in 24hours or so to confirm if everything is still ok. In the meantime, below is a copy of my system spec to see if it gives you any clues to what the problem is/was. Thanks for everything, I'll report back tomorrow

Edit: I've also filled in 'My System' details in the drop box under my profile. Have I filled it in with the right info?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SysSpec 120707.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	15229  
Old 07-13-2007, 04:31 AM   #19
Roaming To Help

Yes you've filled in the details fine.

Glad it seems working. let me know how it goes.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:58 AM   #20
Registered Member

My System

Great stuff Kalim! That UPH Cleanup has worked it's magic and Standby is working every time

Thanks for all your help, you've been brilliant

Until next time

Richard