Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Procedure Entry Point Could Not Be Found

This is a discussion on Procedure Entry Point Could Not Be Found within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I downloaded some CA software to control spam. Started getting Blue Screen of Death. Went into SafeMode and performed restore,

Closed Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:54 AM   #1
Registered Member

I downloaded some CA software to control spam. Started getting Blue Screen of Death. Went into SafeMode and performed restore, no help. removed SW, no help. Reloaded Windows with Repair feature (twice), no more BSoD but now get "Procedure Entry Point ???? Could Not Be Located in the Dynamic Link Library ????" where ???? represent different points and different libraries for different actions. I have purchased RegCleanPro and ran, no help. Reinstalled SP1 and 2, no help. I can not open or reload I.E. of any version. I can not get a list of files in the "Add/Remove Software" section of the Control Panel. I have not reloaded any .dll files. There may be a few more actions that I have taken, but can't remember everything I have tried at this point. FireFox and email still work fine. Hope you have some new ideas.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:31 AM   #2
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows 7 Pro, ME, Vista. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000 & 98SE

Start>Run>sfc /scannow
Registry Cleaners not a good idea.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
Registered Member

Start>Run>sfc /scannow....did not resolve issue. Forgot to mention, I also can not get System Information to display.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 AM   #4
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Uninstall SP2. Reinstall + SP3. The dll library version might not match current OS. Purpose of uninstalling SP2 is possibility that your reinstall didn't completely work.
Also, take a look at this: You receive an "Explorer.EXE - Entry Point Not Found - The procedure entry point SHCreateThreadRef could not be located in the dynamic link library Shlwapi.dll" error message after you install the MS04-038 security update

Old 10-27-2011, 11:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

Unable to access "Add/Remove" programs except in Safemode. I get an error message stating that I can't remove SP2 because I am in SM or a problem exists with Windows Installer. Tried to re-install Windows Installer, but it says SP is too low. Trapped in a cycle???
Old 10-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #6
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

You really have to get rid of Regclean Pro. It's a questionable program. Now go to: How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer and use the hidden $NtServicePackUninstall$ method to uninstall SP2.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:33 AM   #7
Registered Member

I was able to get the previous SP uninstalled, then re-installed SP2, then SP3. I saw positive changes, my IE started working (but extremely slow), and then I did an update on my system. When the updates were complete, and the system restarted, I started getting the BSoD. I tried to fix it by running repair with my windows CD, and now I am back (almost) to ground zero. I am restarting the process, but if anyone knows why I got the BSoD after loading the Windows Updates, I would love to hear a solution. This problem is getting quite aged now and I seem to be caught in a loop.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #8
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

Something like indigestion. One of the updates didn't agree with your computer. After SP3, might try one update item at a time. I'm assuming when you look at Installed Updates all show "Successful".

Closed Thread