Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Problems going from XP to Ubuntu

SOLVED 
2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  spunk.funk 
#1 ·
Hey all,

I have found an old computer which had Windows XP and I want to install Ubuntu on it. There is only one problem, when I want to start the computer, after tthe loading screen from Bios Revision A05, you get only the warning: NTLDR is missing.
After a hard search in our home, the OS installing CD for Windows XP is also missing.
Is it possible to change the operating system in one time, or should I first solve the problem of NTLDR?

Sincerly,
Michke

#2 ·
If you have an Ubuntu CD put that in and Boot to that disc. You may have to boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot Tab and move CD/DVD drive to first boot device. Save and Exit. Or you can press F12 at boot up for a one time change of boot order. If you no longer want XP, you can format the drive for Linux during the Ubuntu install.

#3 ·
I want to delete windows XP, so when I start the computer, i press the F12 key. With a DVD and a USB both burned with ubuntu inserted, i can't find a way to get further in the Boot Device Menu. I can't select the DVD device. And when choosing the USB Device, the pc seems to can't find the starting file :ermm: even when I tried every USB port.

Thanks for the quick answer

#5 ·
If you have a DVD with Ubuntu iso burned to it, then when you press F12 you should see Boot Order. Here you select your CD/DVD drive by using your Arrow and Enter keys and then Move it to the top of the boot order with the Arrow key. Save and Exit. If you burned Ubuntu correctly when you restart you should see the message Press Any Key To Boot From CD/DVD. If not, you did not burn the iso image correctly, try the disc on another computer.
As for the USB how did you create it? If you have an ISO image of Ubuntu, then burn the image to USB Flash drive with Rufus, in my signature. Put the flash drive in and press F12 and you might find your flash drive in Hard Drive group or just USB device. Again Move this to the top of the boot order.
If F12 isn't working for you, boot into Setup (Bios) go to the Boot Tab and Move either CD/DVD drive or USB device to First boot device.

#6 ·
Finally solved the problem!

In this pc is an extra hard drive installed, and one of the CD-Rom drives replaced with an DVD drive. But when I came in the Boot order, I could only select the IDE CD-Rom drive.
The problem with the USB was that it wasn't burned properly. I didn't know a program to burn something on an USB, so I just copied the burned DVD. With Rufus this was also solved.

Thanks for all the help guys!:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.