Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Problems Downloading Antivirus + Other Downloads

This is a discussion on Problems Downloading Antivirus + Other Downloads within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, Having posted this on your antivirus etc. forum I was pointed towards the Microsoft forum who might be able

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:29 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi, Having posted this on your antivirus etc. forum I was pointed towards the Microsoft forum who might be able to deal better with this type of problem. After my computer kept freezing and needing to be turned off I used the 'restore' wizard to bring it back to a previous date - unsure/can't remember (after hours of trying to make it 'go') what I did to get the problem originally which had caused this. Since doing this I have opened up a can of worms and just keep going from bad to worse! I have gone into this System Restore and used various dates to 'Undo' but still find that the antivirus I was using - Antivirus Avira PE Classic (Free) will not allow me to use it any more. It told me I needed to activate it but on doing this it just took me to the 'Help' button giving no more information of use. I tried to delete this (and it is not showing in the programs) but icons still exist on the desktop. I then tried to download it again from their web site but it will not do so. I get a box with the message "CCPLG.XML Unable to find file (c:) Program Files Avira/AntiVir Personal Edition Classic/ccplg.xml." I also keep getting a box headed "RUNDLL An exception occurred while trying to run "Shell32.dll,control-RunDLL wscul.cpl" this is obviously blocking any further progress and stopping further download installations I think. What is going on and how can I repair this problem?

Although I was happy with Avira, as I can't seem to download this and all other sites offering 'Free' Downloads for Antivirus appear to be chargeable (why is this?), can anyone recommend a good FREE antivirus download site I can use or tell me why I am getting this 'RUNDLL exception occurred' box which seems to be the problem stopping me activating the antivirus program as this pops up every time I try to activate it?

Since having posted this initially on the antivirus forum I have done further investigation and although I do not find the Avira antivirus listed under my 'Programs' section I do find it listed again in the Control Panel but when I try to delete it there I get a box: SETUP - "Setup could not determine the feature control file or was not able to read it correctly" and so would not either 'Delete' it or even 'Change' it! I am at a loss as to how to proceed with this as I tried to use a download for a Registry Cleaner to repair the 'RUNDLL' error but was unable to download again. It appears I cannot download anything now.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:02 AM   #2
gone

Alright, first thing is that these free AV programs are frequently the malware itself, and it is VERY important for a User to be VERY clear on exactly what they are getting when they run an install, as removing them can be very difficult and time-consuming.

Generally, problems with a 3rd party application (like Avira) can be best & most-efficiently solved by uninstalling and reinstalling the software. It's free, and if it's a decent software it should uninstall quickly & completely (i.e. "cleanly") and reinstall with a minimum of hassle. Failure to perform at this level is a CLEAR indication that it is not a good software, and there are many others available that are equally good, such as AVG.

As to the service pack question, these are integrated into the Operating System, and not (to my knowledge) "installed" as a simple program would be. I don't think they can be "uninstalled" either. I also doubt they are the cause of your problem, nor do I think messing with them will help you.

I'm suspecting that you have some kind of infection (hence the attempts at System Restore) and that the infection has disabled your AV protection.

Try running TrendMicro's HouseCall in order to get a general idea of what the status of your computer is.