Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

problem that keeps getting worse

904 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  raygunpk 
#1 ·
Ok bear with me as I try to explain this.

-There was a power outage in my area and my computer restarted. After restarting it would hang at the Windows loading screen with the blue bar, and it would stay like that forever.

-I went into safe mode which works fine and tried a system restore to an earlier date, and still wouldn't load.

-Went back into safe mode and it said Restoration Complete. Ran msconfig to do a diagnostic boot...still no luck.

-Ran chkdsk /r using Recovery Console, said it fixed the errors but still hangs at the same screen. Ran Samsung HD utility and detected ECC errors.

-Tried to do a Repair Windows installation using an original Windows cd, so it was SP1 when I had SP2. I tried a Windows XP Pro SP2 cd but there was no repair option so I went to my original, which was Home.

-Through the install there was a few errors such as COM+, directdb.dll, inetcomm.dll,msoe.dll and wab32.dll. I clicked okay with all of them and installation completed fine.

-After restarting, loading would be REALLY slow, and actually wouldn't go past the wallpaper. I checked task manager and explorer.exe isn't even there.

-Went into safe mode, which was super slow as well, and same thing with the no icons. Ran safe mode with Command prompt and opened system restore, only to find no restore points.

I am now at a loss as to what I should do.
Any help guys?

Thanks

See less See more
#3 ·
Hi raygunpk, welcome to TSF...

from what you mentioned in your first post about the chkdsk errors and the diagnostic utility errors, you may be dealing with a dying hard disk.

Do you have another one which you can test with? Or are you able to move that drive to another computer to see if it runs ok?

#5 ·
Tried the Repair install again and it froze again at the same spot, but then I restarted using a ps2 connection on my mouse and keyboard and put the usb ones aside. That got it through fine. It seemed like everything was going smoothly until it forced me to do a Windows Activation before logging on. Then of course it didn't let me activate my legit key which is written on my Windows box.

It keeps getting worse !

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.