Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Problem -- MSVCRT.dll

This is a discussion on Problem -- MSVCRT.dll within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi, just wondering if anyone has a solution to my problem, up until last night I was using Xp SP3

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to sens08 Send a message via Yahoo to sens08

Hi,

just wondering if anyone has a solution to my problem, up until last night I was using Xp SP3 just fine, until I had to restart my system due to being very slow. So when I got back in to my account I notice I couldn't access Windows Explorer, Internet Explorer, My Computer, Search and Support, Control Panel, or Search. A pop up was coming up saying Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. I clicked on click here to see what the error report contained and here is what I found:

AppName: explorer.exe
AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512
ModName: msvcrt.dll
ModVer: 7.0.2600.5512
Offset: 00037678

So any ideas or suggestions at what is gone wrong here and how to resolve this issue. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:47 AM   #2
Registered Member

EEK!

hi today i got the exact same error, can you suggest a solution?

"AppName: explorer.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.5512 ModName: msvcrt.dll
ModVer: 7.0.2600.5512 Offset: 00037678 "

the attached file is an error report that was generated for this issue. hope it helps. i don't have the time and the psychological resources to reinstall.
Attached Files
File Type: txt f835_appcompat.txt (17.5 KB, 103 views)

Old 11-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

Where did you get the service pack 3 from?
Old 11-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
Registered Member

Grin

windows update service, and not to mention that i am using a genuine version of windows XP but i don't think that matters too much.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #5
Registered Member

To repair the issue of missing _resetstkoflw function, you will have to restore the original Msvcrt.dll file from the Windows XP installation CD-ROM. You can do this, by performing the steps listed below:

1. Insert the Window XP installation CD-ROM in the CD drive and boot your PC from the CD-ROM.
2. When the Welcome to Setup screen is displayed, press R to open Recovery Console.
3. Next, press the number key that corresponds to the operating system installation you want to repair. (This is required only when you have multiple operating systems on your PC.)
4. Login using a user with administrative privileges to your system.
5. Next, on the Recovery Console screen type the following commands and press Enter after each command to execute them.

cd system32
ren msvcrt.dll msvcrt.bak
F:
cd \i386
expand msvcrt.dl_ C:\windows\system32
exit

Note: F: represents CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive letter and C: represents the root drive letter where Windows is located.

The above steps replace the current Msvcrt.dll file with the original c msvcrt.dll file that has the following properties:

* Modified 8.23.01
* Size - 315 KB (322,560 bytes)
* Version - 7.0.2600.0
* Contains the _resetstkoflw function

i didn't tried this yet, but i will, i don't know if it will work, but well...what do you think?
Old 11-12-2008, 09:41 AM   #6
Registered Member

Laugh

Hi. I am back with more news. I cannot explain this, but i didn't resolved my problem, because it did by itself .
Today when i started my computer from the hibernation state then started Winamp and let Leonard Cohen in play for 2 whole hours...and went to have a nap, when i woke up, call it retarded, stupid, twisted, but my msvcrt.dll problem just got fixed by itself. No error was present at My Computer double click, or Iexplorer start, search, or control panel.
I cannot explain this, so this is even more intriguing to me.

The simplest explanation i can give for the miraculous restoration of msvcrt.dll is that when i woke up, windows update downloaded and installed for me some updates on security or such stuff (i never pay attention to exactly what updates). Or it's just sleeping by listening to Leonard Cohen can do miracles! :D

So i am done! :) thank you for assisting me in anyway if you did, But i am ok now.

Silviu out.