Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Problem installing XP on a Gateway Netbook

This is a discussion on Problem installing XP on a Gateway Netbook within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I got this netbook about 5 months back and it came with Windows 7 starter, but the netbook only has

Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

Cry

• I got this netbook about 5 months back and it came with Windows 7 starter, but the netbook only has 1gb of ram and wasn't running too smooth, so I decided to install Windows XP Professional on it.
  • Since the netbook doesn't have a CD-ROM I had to use my USB flash drive to do it. It was my first time so I'm having problems.
  • First I was able to install Windows, but didn't finish the installation correctly, so I was able to get in Windows, but didn't have admin access and had a problem with rundll32.exe so I couldn't run anything.
  • Then I tried to format again to fix it but my hard drive wasn't showing up. After searching on google, I found out I had to change my hard drive property in BIOS to IDE from ATA. So after doing that it worked.
  • Then after being able to format C: and install Windows on it, the installation kept freezing on 10 minutes before finishing. So I found another post saying I had to disable the option "D2D" in BIOS. So I did that but it's not working, keeps on freezing at 10 minutes before finishing.
  • Can anyone help me with this issue?

Old 11-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

What is the make and model # of your Gateway Netbook? Being that is shipped with Windows 7, chances are great that there are no drivers available from Gateway for XP. This will mean, even if you get XP installed, you probably won't have Network Adapter drivers, Audio and Display. Go to the Gateway drivers site, type in your model # and see if they have XP drivers. If not, if you haven't formatted the Recovery Partition, you can run that at bootup to restore the computer back to
Windows 7.

spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hey spunk, thanks for replying! It is a LT4004U and it does have XP drivers, I just need to figure out a way to make the installation stop freezing at 10 minutes before being done. After I disabled "D2D" I just tried to continue the installation and it still froze at 10 minutes before being done, so I'm wondering if I have to start from scratch for it to go through. Going to try that today after work, but if it doesn't work I don't know what to do :(
Old 11-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

OS: Windows 8 64, Windows 7 64 Bit SP1, XP SP3, Mac OSX

My System

If this is your model #: Gateway Support - Downloads & Support Documents - Netbook / LT Series / LT40
This model shipped with Windows 7 and does not have support/drivers for XP. You would need to have to download your drivers from the Gateway site after installing XP.
We don't suggest this, but if you are determined to put XP on it, Redo your USB Flash Drive, try using ISOtoUSB. Then boot off of the XP flash drive and when you get to the Partition information, format only the partition with Windows on it, and not the Recovery Partition, in case you want to reinstall 7. If it fails again the flash drive is not configured correctly. Try using a USB CD rom.
spunk.funk is offline   Reply With Quote