Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

problem booting - 'autochk program not found'

This is a discussion on problem booting - 'autochk program not found' within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. when i boot my pc (its another pc not this one obviusly) up i keep getting the message 'autochk program

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 02:38 AM   #1
Registered Member

when i boot my pc (its another pc not this one obviusly) up i keep getting the message 'autochk program not found - skipping autocheck' then the pc restarts and it just keeps going round in a circle like this. could someone please help me ASAP
thanks

its running on xp by the way

Old 04-17-2007, 03:37 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

tap F8 repeatedly when it boots up to get into boot configuration. Select last known good configuration. Does this then work?

"Freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds, which follows from the advance of science" - Darwin

"The propellor at the front of the plane is just one big fan to keep te pilot cool. When it stops spinning, watch him sweat" - unknown autho
Join the TSF folding team - Team 85015
Old 04-17-2007, 04:47 AM   #3
Registered Member

ive tried that but it just does the same, ive also tried in safe mode but it still does the same.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
Registered Member

can anyone help? please
Old 04-17-2007, 07:53 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

You could do a repair install of xp to repair the missing .exe file. Do you have a win xp cd or did it come with a recovery console built in?

"Freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds, which follows from the advance of science" - Darwin

"The propellor at the front of the plane is just one big fan to keep te pilot cool. When it stops spinning, watch him sweat" - unknown autho
Old 04-17-2007, 09:43 AM   #6
Registered Member

yes i have a windows xp disk, so how would i repair the file?
Old 04-17-2007, 10:22 AM   #7
Registered Member

i have tried the repair function from the disk, but it asks me for the administrator password and i dont know what it is?!
Old 04-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

ah.... try it again, but instead of the repair console try doing a normal install. It will then detect you already have Xp installed and simply repairs you system files. I had this issue before and this method works and doesnt destroy your files.

Old 04-17-2007, 03:02 PM   #9
Registered Member

just tried that and rebooted but its still coming up with the same message.
i noticed that when it loaded up though the original windows xp home screen loaded up and not the service pack 2 screen if you no what i mean? is this because i did the repair function? i just hope my files have not been deleted.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
Registered Member

any other ideas or help?
Old 08-12-2007, 03:41 AM   #11
Registered Member

Exclamation

iv'e got that same sort of problem, after the XP loading bar finishes I get the message "autocheck program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK" and then 2-3 sec later I get a BSOD with the following message

"STOP c0000021a {critical system error}
System process Session Manager Initialization unexpectedly quit
Status 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
System shutdown" //not 100% the same because I had to translate it ;)

I inserted the XP recoverydisc and chose "repair", I chose the right windows partition and then entered the right administrator password. After that I typed in the commando "CHKDK /p" and it analyzed the system files. Result being that at least 1 file had problem and that was it, I then quit and restarted with the same problem!!

Does someone know what I need to execute on the xp repair console to get this damn problem fixed?

If I hit F8 during boot I just get to chose between from what I want to boot from ie. 1. Disc 2. CD

Pls If someone could help me
Old 08-12-2007, 06:52 AM   #12
Registered Member

hey, i think in the end i fixed it by taking out my harddrive and connecting it up 2 my other PC, when i turned on the other pc, it detected the fault on the harddrive and repaired it automaticly, i dont no if you have another pc you could try that on?
Old 08-12-2007, 08:16 AM   #13
Registered Member

I do have a 2nd PC but that sounds really too risky and I also think that my problem might (hope) not be that serious...
Old 10-13-2007, 05:49 PM   #14
Registered Member

I, too, have the same error after adding Adaware to a WIN XP Home OS also loaded with Norton GoBack program. I booted into my Norton Partition Magic CD and used the DOS version of PTedit to access my HDD. I changed the bootable section from a '44' (which Norton might have auto changed????) to a '17'-boot NTFS and the error was removed and my system booted fine. I then removed Norton (System Works/GoBack) from my pc....everything has been running smoothly.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:20 AM   #15
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to Boedicia Send a message via Yahoo to Boedicia Send a message via Skype™ to Boedicia

If anyone could help me straight away i would be grateful. int he msconfig box i selected *use original boot.ini* as it was on *use modified boot.ini* before, restarted then it came up with that *autochk program not found* and then it came up with a blue screen saying *STOP: c000021a {Fatal system Error}
The Session Manager initialization system process terminate unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shut down.*
Now i can't get it off that screen. Please someone help!
Old 10-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #16
Registered Member

Boedicia - go ahead and just turn off the power using the power button. I get that screen also when I run into this autochk problem.

All - I have the same problem as stated (autochk cycle), already used PTEDIT (which seems to fix most people's problem), but there's only one bootable drive (this is a customer's PC), tried safe mode, etc..

The customer has said they DO have Norton, but unsure of GOBack.

The thing is, the user does NOT have the original HOME XP edition of the CD but I have a PRO edition - can I repair using the Pro edition? (Will this also upgrade their PC to pro? I'd much rather not due to licensing issues...they do have the Home Windows Key)

Is there any other possible solutions other than PTEDIT? If worse comes to worse, I will remove the HDD and scan it on another healthy PC.

Thanks.

- eggBrain
Old 10-18-2008, 04:42 AM   #17
Registered Member

Should I try sfc before I remove the HDD and attach it to another machine?
Old 10-18-2008, 04:51 AM   #18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggBrain View Post
Scratch that, I can't even get into safe mode. I'll try to see if anybody I know has a Home Edition XP CD. Otherwise, I'm taking it out, and attaching it to another machine.
Old 10-18-2008, 05:35 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggBrain View Post
Scratch that, I can't even get into safe mode. I'll try to see if anybody I know has a Home Edition XP CD. Otherwise, I'm taking it out, and attaching it to another machine.

BTW - here are all the things I've tried based on the fact that it won't boot:

Recovery Console
chkdsk /r - comes up with no errors
PTEdit - It's already set to a Bootable NTFC
Safe Mode (won't boot into it)
Last Known (just goes back to what it usually does)

I have NOT done a "repair install" because the customer nor do I have a Windows XP Home CD at the moment.

I'm going to take the HDD out and attach it to another machine and scan it with chkdsk (and maybe SFC?) that way.

Wish me luck (unless you have other ideas...anybody?)
Old 10-21-2008, 10:29 AM   #20
Registered Member

Alright, here's another change. I now have been able to procure a XP Home Edition CD. I thought I might try to go ahead and put in a fresh install so I took out the hard drive, and backed up their important files (pics, docs, etc. in the Owner's documents folder, no other profiles were present).

After that and putting back the HDD into the original machine, I decided to do a fresh install (as stated before). At this point, I thought it all was going to go fine...

...then I found out there are 7MB of unpartitioned space. I went ahead and decided to try to install Windows onto the Partitioned space but with the warning that if I wipe out the /Windows directory, all apps would be lost. I don't know if the user has all the app CDs that came with it. Granted, I will call them to warn them about the fresh install consequences, but I have to get this PC functional.

If I do decide to do a fresh install, will I still get the autocheck error?
How do I handle the 7MB of unpartitioned space? Leave it alone or delete it? Do what I need to do with it before the fresh install?