Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

problem-Ants crawling on screen

This is a discussion on problem-Ants crawling on screen within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey everyone, I have a weird problem with a computer I'm working on, Ive never heard of it before. There

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hey everyone,
I have a weird problem with a computer I'm working on, Ive never heard of it before. There are ants crawling on the screen. Not real live ants, but images of ants crawling around on the screen eating the desktop. I thought at first it might have been a screensaver, but no screensaver is turned on.

There is a picture of it just starting. It starts after not using the computer for around 5-10 min then keeps going until I click the mouse. Pressing a button on the keyboard or moving the mouse does not make it stop.

I have done the usual adaware spyware removal programs, as well as anti virus, and nothing has fixed it. I used vcleaner, and Spybot search and destroy. I don't really think it is spyware though, which is why I posted this here.

Any ideas on how to get rid of this? Anyone ever seen it before?

Old 05-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
elf
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

My System

Send a message via AIM to elf

This is almost definately a virus, though it is possible it is a program you installed yourself. Look over the First Steps at Removing Malware . If there are any steps you cannot complete do not worry, just make a note of it so that you can inform the user who will be assisting you.

Make sure you post whatever required logs they ask for in the HijackThis Log Help section, instead of back here.

If TSF has helped you, Tell us about it! or Donate to help keep the site up!
I do not subscribe to threads, so if I stop replying, PM me with a link to your thread so I can find it again.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Management Team, Security Center & TSF Academy
Expert Analyst, Moderator, Security Team
Rangemaster, Moderator, TSF Academy

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

The bugs in and of themselves are not malicious, but they do come in with "Fake Alert" rogue application malware.

http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_144189.htm

"Windir%\system32\blackster.scr" is the associated file, but where this is present, there's usually something else.

For others reading this...best to follow up with elf's advice.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:48 AM   #4
Registered Member

This is exactly what I have...I'll have to start going threw the First Steps at Removing Malware. Did you ever get yours fixed fluffybunny88?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
Registered Member

I am working on getting it fixed right now actually. I have a thread going in the hijack this log help section here is the thread that I am posting on.

I'm not sure what exactly got rid of the ants, but they are not up anymore. Tetonbob mentioned that "Windir%\system32\blackster.scr" file so I guess that is the one. I would recommend that you post a set of your own logs because you probably have a lot more than just that one problem to fix.