Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Possble OS corruption problems. Need Help

This is a discussion on Possble OS corruption problems. Need Help within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, My computer has developed some (minor so far) problems which I haxe not beenable to correct. Mostly it involved

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello,
My computer has developed some (minor so far) problems which I haxe not beenable to correct. Mostly it involved my internet programs (AOL, Internet Explorer) but also has affected some of my installed windows components. My wife and I had to go out of town for a famly emergency and left our 15 yr old granddaughter who lives with us at home. When I returned several days later my computer was not functoning properly. She swears she didn't do anything aout of the ordinary but I have no way of knowing for sure if this something caused by her. I am running XP home with SP2 installed. Basically, AOL would not initialize, IE wouldn't initialize and other programs are runnng slowly sometimes. I reinstalled AOL ok but am unable to access IE to repair or uninstall it for a reinstall. While working on this I also noticed that some of the installed windows components are showing up in contol panel (installed windows components) with a 0.0 file size (includng IE). I have tried to access sys restore through regular mode, safe mode, and command prompt and it comes up wth an error message stating sys restore encounterd a problem and needs to close, with the option to send an error report or not. I originally posted about this problem in a different area of the forum and someone replied with some things to try. One of them was a repair install (which I have not tried yet). Before I try this I wanted to find out exactly what the repair install does and how it might affect the files on my computer, and what might happen if it doesn't work. I did call and talk to a local computer shop and the person I talked to thinks my OS might have some corruption problems but they would need to look at it to do a proper diagnosis. I am hoping to not have to do a total reinstall of XP if I can at all avoid it. I can provide the technical report that sys restore generates when I try to access it if that might help. Thanks in advance for any help or suggestion anyone might be able to provide me.

Paul

Old 03-22-2007, 11:20 AM   #2
Registered Member

If you have the OS disc- you can put the disc in the drive and then go to

Start>Run in that box type in: sfc /scannow (notice the space between the c and / )

This will find and replace lost/corrupted Windows files that were supposed to be there when originally installed. It may take a while.

Disconnect from the internet and then re-boot and see if that helps. (actually it might be a good idea simply to disconnect from the internet before running the sfc /scannow)

It sounds as if you might be infected with a few viruses. Once up and running- stay disconnected from the internet and run a virus scan with your anti-virus. After that is done- re-boot.

Post back and give us an update as to what worked or didn't work and if the antivirus found anything.

Andy

Old 03-22-2007, 12:32 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hello,
Thanks for the reply. I am running XP's version of scandisk now and will do a virus check as soon as I have time tonight or tomorrow. As far as a OS disk, what I have is the manufacturers recovery disk that came with my system rather than just a straight WIN XP disk. I am not sure I can do what you suggest with that. I have a feeling that XP is installed in a seperate protected partition that the manufacturer disk accesses. I had another computer that was setup with ME this way when ME came out.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:03 PM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

unless you have a non destructable restore partition,if you run the restore disk that came with the computer,it will return it to the day that you received it and you will have to reinstall everything that you installed since receiving it
Old 04-04-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Registered Member

Hello,

I first posted about this problem a couple of weeks ago but have not had a chance to investigate further. I have run my antivirus program and it turned up nothing. Someone suggested that if I had the XP disk I could run sfc /scannow to find and repair any corrupt or damaged XP files. My computer did not come with an XP disc but a manufacturers recovery disk. So I am pretty sure that XP is installed in a separate protected partition and using this will restore the computer to the way it came, which I want to avoid if possible. I have a friend who has a disc for XPhome (which is what my machine has). If I borrowed his disc could I use it to repair any damaged files I might have? If not, is there any way to access the partition XP is installed in to run sfc /scannow? Thanks for any input.
Paul
Old 04-05-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Registered Member

Hello, I have tried using the sfc /scannow function figuring that it might be able to access the protected Wiindows files on my computer. The function ran but nothing about my computers behavior has changed. The only thing I have left to try (that I know of) other than using my manufacturers restore disc is a repair install. System restore is there but won't let me access it in normal mode, safe mode or from a command prompt. It just gives me an error message saying it encountered a problem and has to close. My virus program turned up nothing. The main problem I am having is that IE is not working and I can't repair or uninstall it so that I could reinstall it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.