Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

please help...."DRIVE NOT READY READING DRIVE E:/"

This is a discussion on please help...."DRIVE NOT READY READING DRIVE E:/" within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hello i formatted my computer with a floppy disk and everything was going okay.i reformatted and installed windows 98 on

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 11:23 PM   #1
Registered Member

hello i formatted my computer with a floppy disk and everything was going okay.i reformatted and installed windows 98 on my brothers computer the day prior to reformatting my computer. when i put in my windows 98 cd and type e:/ or d:/ and then i type in win 98 it says CDR101 NOT READY READING DRIVE E:/ ABORT,RETRY,FAIL. can someone please help because im not sure if its my computer or the cd itself but im sure that its not the cd because i reformatted my brothers computer the day before so its not like i corrupted a file. Thank You So Much..I Really Would Appeciate It...

Old 04-11-2006, 12:25 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

I agree, sounds like a hardware problem rather than your disc. Check to make sure that your CD Rom's IDE cable is connected securely on both the motherboard and drive, and in the correct orientation. Check power connectors too, they can come loose if you're in and out of the machine.

Also, if you haven't, set the ROM's jumpers to master, and place it on the connector furthest from the motherboard (end of the cable). Reset the bios (cant' hurt) and see what happens.

v0709 | Intel Prescott 3.2ghz | 2gb Corsair XMS DDR2-800 PC2-6400 | Sparkle Power 550w PSU | ATI All-In-Wonder X600 Pro | Sound Blaster Audigy 4 | CoolerMaster Aluminum Case | WD Raptor 76gb 10K RPM SATA HDD |ASUS CD/DVD RW Combo Drive | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy Combo Drive | Coolermaster Copper Heatsink
Old 04-11-2006, 01:59 PM   #3
Registered Member

maybe even try buying a new IDE cable for your drive, i've had ide cables fail on me in the past and it was only a matter of replaceing it. they're fairly cheap.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:54 PM   #4

is this a windows cd or a copy?

make sure you are working with a new 80 wire connector ribbon cable.. dont use any 40 wire - 20 yr old junk that most folks have in their spare parts drawer.

good luck