Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Pinnacle Studio keeps crashing

This is a discussion on Pinnacle Studio keeps crashing within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My Pinnacle Studio is crashing quite rapidly. It's done it before but now it's doing it like every 5 or

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:06 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Win7 x64, Vista Ultimate x86, Server 2K3 Enterprise x86, Ubuntu Lucid Lynx x64, OSX Snow Leopard x86

My System

Send a message via AIM to magnethead

My Pinnacle Studio is crashing quite rapidly. It's done it before but now it's doing it like every 5 or 10 minutes. It'll just lock up, i'll close the window, and it'll disappear. The pinnacle crash report box comes up but i dont fill it out. I'm checking task manager, and it's sitting around 990-1000 MB of page file usage with studio sitting idle. Thats with studio, itunes, internet, speedfan, and IM open/running.

Pinnacle Studio Plus 10.5.1.2809

system specs should be at left. Virtual Memory is turned off completely.

Commit Charge:

total: 1,018,000 K (floating)
limit: 1,420,372 K
peak: 1,143,888 K

Physical Memory:

Total: 1,571,820 K
Avaliable: 424,200 K (floating)
System Cache: 639,200 K (floating)

Old 07-27-2007, 03:42 AM   #2
Folding Along

Send a message via AIM to gistek Send a message via Skype™ to gistek

Pinnacle is a resource hog - and their installer leaves a LOT to be desired.

Did you have Pinnacle 9 before? It leaves a couple of lines in your reg file that have to be regedited out. (There should still be a step-by-step for that on their site.)

Also, Pinnacle 10 won't capture from Dazzle unless it has a 100% signal even before you click settings. I get around this by having my cable feed to the dazzle while I set the parameters then hit play on the VCR after I start the capture. Otherwise I have to play the video, start the capture, then carefully review (rewind + play) back to almost the beginning of the tape and hit play before the VCR senses the end of the tape. Otherwise Pinnacle thinks the tape ended and quits capturing. This happens even if I set the record for time rather than detect end of tape.

I don't have this problem with the firewire connection from my camcorder.

Finally, Pinnacle 10 is very fussy about input quality. If your source is not of DVD quality it won't capture at DVD quality. You have to select one of the MPEG settings or play with custom settings until you get just the right levels.

You might think about using virtual memory, since you are running other resource hogs at the same time (iTunes and internet, particularly).

I am not a computer professional, My advice comes from personal experience and/or friends who are computer professionals. Interested in Search and Rescue? Check out the Civil Air Patrol. Come Fold with us. TSF Folding@Home Team
Old 07-27-2007, 07:32 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

OS: Win7 x64, Vista Ultimate x86, Server 2K3 Enterprise x86, Ubuntu Lucid Lynx x64, OSX Snow Leopard x86

My System

actually, here's the funny thing. None of what you posted applies! Right now i'm just dealing with a slideshow that has short little DV clips in it off my digital camera. This is the first pinnacle version i've had (bought it through school mass educational discount), i don't have any means to capture of/from, and i can care less of picture quality because using 320x240 video and 640x480 images aint gonna have too great of a output resolution.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #4
Folding Along

Send a message via AIM to gistek Send a message via Skype™ to gistek

Sounds like something has crept in to the project that's causing it to hang (or appear to hang).

I haven't done much slideshow type work. When I have problems with videos hanging I "make" the movie as an mpg, then open it in a new project and finish editing as needed.

Another place to look is in the text version of the project. I'm not at my home computer right now, so I can't remember what they call it, but it's a list of elements and how to handle them. I'm not sure exactly what to look for, but everything should follow a somewhat logical pattern. If something doesn't fit, that's probably where the problem is.
I am not a computer professional, My advice comes from personal experience and/or friends who are computer professionals. Interested in Search and Rescue? Check out the Civil Air Patrol. Come Fold with us. TSF Folding@Home Team
Old 07-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

well it's done it before on smaller projects but it would crash once or never in those...now sofar i have a 10 minute long project and it's crashed at least 6 or 8 times.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:38 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

here's one of the 7 error reporting files that i've sent to pinnacle just today. Maybe somebody can get something out of them?

TM reports between 998M and 1.10 GB page file usage.

http://www.auto-chat.net/SX_10.5_VS_...VEJR_Steve.zip
Old 07-31-2007, 03:53 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

does anybody know how to read the contents of the files in that zip folder to figure out what's crashing Studio? I know it's using alot of memory (1.10 GB right now with only studio and maxthon running) but i haven't maxxed out on all the hard memory yet. Peak is 1,233,948 and bottom bar says commit charge: 1123/1387.