Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC won't wake from standby plus other things

4K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Homer99 
#1 ·
OK I sure hope I am posting in the right area. Anyway, I will continue with my problem.

So, a few days ago, my Crucial RAM decides to have issues so I have to replace them (went to NCIX and they exchanged them no problem). Later that day, everything was working fine so I was quite happy. Now a few days ago, I was in Vista 64bit, and the PC automatically went to sleep when I was asleep. However, when I tried to turn it back on, it wouldn't come out of its sleep and I had to restart the PC with a message on the bios saying "Last BOOT failed! Something about POST something lol" So I thought to myself just to load set up defaults. Then I booted into XP no problem. Now yesterday, I had my PC on all night, then I woke up this morning to see that my mouse wasn't making my monitor come out of standby. So I wondered what could be the issue and decided to restart the computer. ALL OF A SUDDEN, I hear this long beeeeeeeeep that didn't stop until I shut down the PC! I almost ripped my hair out at this point. So I tried a few times to boot it, and eventually got it to almost boot to XP except got BSODed with 0x00000044. So I cleared CMOS by removing the battery and doing all that jazz. It seemed to be fine until later when I was in XP, I got the 0x0000007E. So I ran memtest86 and there were no issues. I tested each of my video cards individually, tried removing the sound card, checked all my temperatures... but nothing at all. I ALSO got the message on the bios saying "BIOS ROM Checksum Error". Flashing the bios didn't do anything :( And now, I am trying to figure out what the heck is wrong with my PC.

IF SOMEONE RESPONDS TO THIS I WOULD BE SOOO THANKFUL!!! I know its a handful, but its really an annoying problem :(

Thanks in advance :)

See less See more
#3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. But all of this happened after I replaced my RAM (because the other sticks were faulty). I tested each memory stick and there are no errors at all. And this morning, I looked at got the 0x0000050 stop message. Every stop message I've gotten has been different :S. And when I tried to reset my computer, it just kept beeping and beeping.

G
#4 ·
It has come to my attention that you have either experienced many or just one BSoD (Blue Screen of Death). To figure out what file or piece of hardware is causing this I will need your minidump files to work with. I will use these files to read what was on your RAM when the exception at the Kernel happened. I will use the program WinDbg to do this. Please follow the below steps for me to obtain your dump files.

I would like you to go to:

• Start
  • Run
  • Type in Explorer and click Ok

Then I would like you to enter this into the address bar or go to this directory:

C:\Windows\Minidump

When successfully navigated to this folder I would like you to move all of these files onto your desktop and create a new Zip folder called "Minidump Files." Place your Minidumps into this Compressed Zip Folder and upload it to the TSF Server in your next post including more information on what has happened since my last post. The second method is that you can upload the same Zip Folder to another file sharing server like Microsoft Skydrive if you have a Windows Live Account so I can download it there to.

#5 ·
Sorry have been slightly busy lately.

Well, I found the problem for the standby thing. With my old set of RAM before I got it replaced, I could change the latency settings to what is recommended and everything would work well. Well on this pair, whenever I change the latency setting to the recommended, it doesn't allow my PC to standby :S

G
#7 ·
It has come to my attention that you might have something physically wrong with your RAM. To check this we will use a program called, Memtest86+. Choose the choice I have put down in the picture below and download it to your desktop.

Once you have downloaded it to your desktop, extract the file from the Zip folder and place the ISO file on your desktop. I would then like you to burn the ISO onto a CD-R, DVD-R, CD+R, or DVD+R using programs such as Nero, or a burning studio software. If you do not have such a program, then you can download and install the free program Active ISO Burner. You can then burn the ISO to the disk with this new program or your old program.

After you have burnt it to a disk you will have to set your BIOS to make you boot up from the CD Drive first. Restart your computer and at the first loading screen keep tapping either the F1, F2, F4, F6, F8, F10, F11, F12, or Delete keys to access the BIOS. If you can not get into the BIOS refer back to system documentation for further help with accessing it. When successfully accessed the BIOS look for something that says Boot Device Priority, or Boot Sequence. Set your CD Drive as first using the arrow keys or + and - keys.

After setting it to first insert your disk and restart the system. Start the test and let it run as it will take approximately one day. If you have more then one stick of RAM then please follow the below instructions:

If You Have More than One Stick of RAM

If you have more than one stick of RAM, then remove all of the sticks except for one and do the test on them individually. This test will be 1 day per stick of RAM so if you have 2 sticks of RAM then the tests will take about two days. Change each stick when each stick test is finished with the other ones that have to be tested. You can remove a RAM stick by pressing down on the 2 clenches at its sides. Here is an example picture:

Those dumps, seem to point towards RAM, try a repair install of norton 2

*-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*

After finishing that work please report back with this information in the next speches:

It has come to my attention that you might have a heat or voltage issue with your computer. We can not assume that it is one of these so we will go ahead and check. I would like you to download and install the program Speedfan. When you are done installing Speedfan open and look for 3 columns. One should have temperatures, the other should have voltages, and the last one should contain your fan speeds. When you have found this information please post to me in a column such as this: (Example)

Temperatures

Temp1: 30 C
Temp2: 60 C
HD0: 44 C

Voltages (only for desktops)

5.5V: 5.5
3.33V: 3.24

Fan Speeds

Speed1: 2480 RPM

(Remember this is just an example, please post your exact information)
If you are running on a Dell Laptop please follow these steps then post your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds:

• Open Speedfan
  • Click Configure on the Main Screen
  • Go to the Options Tab
  • Check the: "Enable DELL Support (use this function only on DELL notebooks)" check box
  • Click Ok then Close Speedfan
  • Start Speedfan once again

Then post your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds.

------------------------------------------------

I am seeing that your computer might have a voltage or overheating issue that is preventing from booting normally into Windows. Start up your computer by either tapping the F1, F2, F4, F6, F8, F10, F11, F12, or Delete keys to access the systems BIOS. For the exact information on what key to start up the System BIOS refer back to Original Manufacturer System Documentation.

After getting into the BIOS, look for a page that would have something like, eg. PC Health Screen or System Monitoring Page. When you have found a page similar to this post back what the BIOS says for your temperatures, voltages, and fan speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.