Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC starts, stops, starts, stops, etc...

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  CCT 
#1 ·
I just bought a new mobo, processor and ram for my PC, kept the PSU, DVD, Video card and HDD.

After replacing everything, I started it up and got the failure no bootable system found. Since I replaced so much, I thought it possible this could happen but I planned ahead to reinstall the OS anyway.

I put in the windows disk, installed windows, restarted and booted into windows. Put the mobo driver CD in, ran the multi-driver installer, installed all the drivers and restarted and got the no boot disk error again.

Went into BIOS, made sure HDD was detected and the primary boot device. Everything A-OK. Then I restarted and now it starts and within 3 seconds powers down. Holds about 5 seconds then tries to start again, but powers down after 3 seconds. It did this about 4-5 times before I shut it down.

Not really sure where to go from here. Originally I had 3 HDDs all hooked up, so I took all them off and only left the main OS and DVD drive, so everything but the core hardware is installed.

#2 ·
I've made some headway. After posting this, I took about an hour break and came back, hit the power button and booted right up. Did some more installs, restarted a few times, good to go.

Then I started hooking devices back up. I had 2 more HDD's, one SATA and one IDE. Sata worked fine, but then when i hooked up the IDE I get the boot failure error again. HDD boot order is correct, but still nothing. It's the only IDE component I have but never seems to work.

Also, after I started trying to hook it up I got the power on/off again. Sometimes it never starts, some times it powers up/down once or twice then boots on the subsiquent one. Seems to work fine when it's finally up though. I don't think it's a power issue since I can keep the IDE HD powered up, I just can't connect the cable, but it would seem to be.

#3 · (Edited)
Hi gr00m !

I'd still look at the power supply : your CPU may be more power hungry than the previous one, and more ram sticks will also require more power. Is there a hardware monitor screen in the BIOS ? If so report your temps, fan speeds and voltages (+3.3, +5, +12V).

What are your complete system specs ? Check the posting system specs link in my sig and don't forget the brand, model and wattage of the power supply.

Since the issue happens at startup, before Windows even loads, it's definitely hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.