Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

PC Dying! :|

699 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Spencerjdb 
#1 · (Edited)
Major Software and/or Hardware problems

WARRHEY.. feels good to be back amongst some nerds :pray: Can't say the same when I'm looking at my £700 tower that will cost £20-30 each way to send to be fixed for free under warranty :mad::mad:

1. As for almost a year now, regularly when I start my PC the tower turns on but the screen, mouse and keyboard are not activated. Sometimes the screen is activated but does not load any further than the motherboard introduction screen; and recently after loading and logging on, it displays only my desktop background and nothing else at all (I CtrlAltDlt'd to TM & Ran explorer.exe but still nothing). When I reboot it's there again though.

2. A few minutes after turning it on (or instantly... it vaires), there comes a weird sound from the PSU.... sounds like an irregular and much louder noise, not so much a scratch but a non-constant hum... going louder and quieter randomly. PSU is 850W, not strained.

3. The PC also sometimes totally randomly goes extremely sluggish and CPU usage freezes on 100% (whereas it's usually around 5-20%). This is with maybe just one or so programs running... and fan temperatures at a normal level... no overheating. PC now Randomly & regularly freezes totally. Mouse cursor does not even move (GPU temps are stable).

4. After startup, the disc drive used to make a sequence of noises, repeatedly. Sometimes stopping as soon as the Mobo screen pops up, sometimes carrying on even after. Sometimes carrying on if the Mobo screen hasn't popped up (i.e. if problem #1 has happened). Boot seq. is HD then CD. It isn't Mobo beeps, it's loud clunky noises (and I've opened the case to check where the noise is)

5. Sound randomly stops working. I installed a new sound card but this was months ago, the problem is totally random. I've done no driver updates/changes/rollbacks or registry tweaks/cleanups... so not sure why this is happening.

*Hands Tissues*... It's bad isn't it :grin: I can send parts off separately to save cash, but would only do so if anyone can help me determine specific faulty parts (thus far, I assume HD & PSU). Otherwise I'll send it all off to get totally checked before selling.

See less See more
#2 ·
If your PSU is making some kind of noise or the fan is irregular, then it needs to be replaced. You can test this theory by going into the Bios and posting the Voltages, Temps and Fan Speeds. If your HDD is making a clicking or scrapping noise, it needs to be replaced. Backup all data immediately! You can test this theory by downloading the ISO image for the Hard Drive Test and burn that to a CD and boot off of the CD and run the HDD tests. You can also do the same for Memtest and test the RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.