Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Page file building and building and..

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Stilles 
#1 · (Edited)
Abnormally large page file

I just noticed this recently, after I had to reinstall Windows xp home. When I start a game everything runs fine until I load a map, then the performance slowly gets worse and worse. My cpu is dedicating all the cycles to swapping stuff to the page file I suppose. I monitored task manager while the game was running in the background, and the page file just gets bigger and bigger until the game crashes. The game ran quite nicely, until I recently when I reinstalled Windows. Windows is up to date, with SP3 and everything.

I took a few screenshots, the first one is while the game is still going, and I think it just crashed. The second being after the game closed and the page file returns to normal. You can see the definite decline on the page file history.

---
PC Specs
-
1.7Ghz processor
768mb ram
Windows Xp Home
80 gig hard drive
128mb Nvidia GeForce MX4000 (Runs the game fine..)

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome to TSF....

It could be the game that is causing this problem, what is th ename of the game?

#4 ·
Did you install the special drivers for windows?

Since windows was re-installed the thing that has to be done is to install all of the special drivers like chipset, buss, network, audio, video and others, they can be installed in any order you wish and can be found on the system recovery disk set for the computer if it is an OEM like Compaq, Dell etc. or if you do not have a recovery disk set the drivers can be found on the manufacturers web site for either the motherboard or the manufacturer of the computers web site. You can download these drivers and burn to a CD-R and then install those following instructions to reboot when asked.

#5 · (Edited)
Oh, I didn't really think of that.. The only drivers I have installed are sound and video.

I'll try that and get back to you. :smile:

Edit: I installed the drivers and the game ran great. I tried joining another game, and the page file started going haywire. I noticed the "system idle process" said that 80-95 of my cpu was available?

#7 ·
The system idle process is normally high so do not worry about that one it is one of the other ones to look for.

I would install the USB drivers for this just to be safe.

I would suggest to un-install the game and reboot then re-install the game and reboot again then try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.