Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

OS Repair didn't work. Comp won't turn on. Help please!

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  divad130 
#1 ·
-I have an HP laptop, bought from a year ago. I tried repairing the my Win Xp operating system because my computer was a little slow and i thought it might help. I followed all the instructions on the manual. After it was done repairing, it restarted.

-However, this is what came up. And if you can't see the pictures, then there's a description on the bottom. (I'm a computer newbie)

Then...

Then...

After that, the computer just restarts. I tried doing a disk check in BIOS, I booted the computer with and without the OS repair CD, is there something I'm missing?

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED THANK YOU!!! Sorry for such a long thread!
[/SIZE}

Description:
1)The computer turns on, then it goes to the screen that says Windows didn't start successfully and gives you the different options to boot up (like safe mode, ect).
2)No matter what I choose, it goes to another screen that says "A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent any damage." The other parts say, "Check your computer for viruses...run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption..."
3) Then, the computer restarts. HOW CAN I CHECK FOR VIRUSES WHEN I CAN'T EVEN TURN MY COMPUTER ON!?

See less See more
#3 ·
I had the exact same issue with my PC about a year ago. Mine was related to a hard drive beginning to fail. Don't worry, your hard drive is probably fine.

I also reinstalled XP and then got this nasty message.

There is no easy fix for it. You are going to have to reinstall the OS (clean).

If you are not comfortable with backing your data up with dos utilities and doing a reformat and install, I would reccomend getting a professional to do it for you.

#4 ·
XP Wipes are pretty straight forward. I've never restored lost information though. I can never be arsed. If you are willing to lose all information stored on the laptop here is how to format the drive, delete and recreate the partition.

Firstly, your BIOS must be set to boot from CD before HDD. To do this, enter your BIOS (or setup system) and reorder the system boot. My suggested order is Zip, CD, HDD.

Restart the machine and inset the XP CD. When it prompts to boot from CD press any key. Follow the instructions. You simply need to delete the Partition that your old XP instilation was on, as standard this is C:. Once done, recreate the partition, setting the size you wish. It is at this point that you can create multiple partitions to store data on.

Then proceed with the XP install. It will format the partition, it will prompt whether to use FAT32 or NTFS. NTFS is the better option, and you should format all the drives/partitions to this format, unless multiple operating systems are being used that cannot use NTFS.

The system will reboot a number of times throught the setup. Once the files have copied to the HDD and the installation is complete it's very straight forward. XP is probably about the easiest OS to install.

If you're not too sure, please contact a profesional to do it for you. Above was simply a rough guide on how to do it. I'm not going to be held responsible if it goes wrong... Personaly, it's never gone wrong for me in the three/four years I've been doing it.

Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.