Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

OS installed twice..!!

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  TheGift73 
#1 ·
I m using windows XP service pack 2. By mistake i have installed XP on two partitions (C: and D:) and i want to remove it from C:. So what should i do?:normal:

#4 ·
To remove it from C: you simply delete the Windows folder. You need to check which drive the program files and local user profiles are stored on as in some cases one could be on D: and the other on C: - some software will automatically install to your C: drive rather than the drive windows is actually installed on so it can get rather messy so installing it on C: is the recommended option.

#5 ·
Are you sure that what is on D: is not a recovery partition created during the install. Are the sizes of both partitions the same? Before you attempt to do anything, I'd backup any important data (pictures, music, documents etc) first onto an external hard drive/ DVD.

You say that you have only just done the install? Was this with an OEM or Retail Disk (OEM disk will be the XP CD that came with the computer, Retail will be one that you bought separately) How did you manage to install XP twice onto your computer? Did you already have XP installed and were trying to do a repair install, but instead did a new install onto a separate partition.

#9 ·
Yes. Support for Service Pack 2 ended on July 13th 2010. Service Pack 3 was released on May 6th 2008 and has a lot of fixes and security updates (1,174 fixes when it was first released, and even more now) that you should have. To get it Go Start>All Programs>Windows Update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.