Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

OS Corrupted

This is a discussion on OS Corrupted within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. What is the reason behind the OS corrupted?.. Ex.. The system is working fine and it shutdown carefully.. Then next

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
Registered Member

What is the reason behind the OS corrupted?.. Ex.. The system is working fine and it shutdown carefully.. Then next time switching on it says the some file NLDTR.. etc.. file is missing.. If anyone knows.. reply me..

Old 09-01-2008, 05:13 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hi Selvaraj and welcome to TSF

Quote:
What is the reason behind the OS corrupted?..
Not sure anyone can tell you that for sure, but try this to get your computer working. Tap on the F8 key when you start the computer and see if it will get you to the Advanced Boot screen. Then pick boot from "Last Known Good Configuration" (or similar words) and see it that will work.

If not, see if you can boot in the Safe Mode.

Post back if it don't work.

Best regards,
Mack1

Old 09-01-2008, 05:21 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

What Service Pack do you have on your PC?
Old 09-01-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

Welcome to TSF....

Troubleshooting NTLDR Issues
techpro5238 on 28 January, 2008 20:10:00 | 1116 times read

1. NTLDR is Missing or Corrupt

Important Note: Please ensure that there are NO CD/DVD's inserted in the Drives, or External Drives connected to the computer.
For Windows® 2000.

If the computer is using Microsoft Windows® 2000 and encounters a NTLDR error, type the text quoted below into a text editor such as Notepad; save it as boot.ini, then copy the Notepad file onto an empty formatted floppy disc.
Quote:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
Copy the NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files from another computer using the same Operating System onto the floppy disc that has the boot.ini file on it.
These files should be located in the root directory of the primary hard disk drive so that C:NTLDR and C:NTDETECT.COM should be the locations of these files on most computers.

Please Note: The NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM files are both hidden. It will be necessary to make hidden files and folders unhidden. If you need help with this please go HERE to learn how.

Once these files have been copied to the floppy disc insert the floppy disc in the damaged computer and reboot; copy the NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM and boot.ini files from the floppy disc to the root directory of the primary hard disk drive.
These are the commands that need to be performed from the A:> drive.

copy ntldr c: (ENTER)
copy ntdetect.com c: (ENTER)
copy boot.ini c: (ENTER)

Once the files are copied onto the computer; remove the floppy disc, and reboot the computer; the issue should now be resolved.

For Windows® XP
• Insert the Windows® XP CD into the computer.
• When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press Any key.
• Once in the Windows® XP Setup Menu press the R key to repair Windows.
• You may be prompted for your Administrator Password, enter that password. (If there is no password just leave it blank and press Enter)
• Copy the two files, ntldr and ntdetect.com to the root directory of the primary hard disk by typing the following commands.
In this example it is presumed that the CD-ROM Drive is E:; however, it will be necessary to type in the correct Letter for the corresponding Drive.

copy e:i386ntldr c: (ENTER)
copy e:i386ntdetect.com c: (ENTER)

Once the two files are copied; reboot the computer. Upon restart the system should be normal.

Corrupted boot.ini File (Step 2 Fix)
• Once in the Windows XP Setup Menu press the R key to repair Windows.
• You will then be prompted for your Administrator Password, enter that password. (If there is no password just press Enter)
At the command prompt type in the following commands:

chkdsk /r (Please note the space after chkdsk and the /r) (ENTER)
fixboot (ENTER)
exit (ENTER)

Then remove the disk, and reboot the computer.
Important Note: Should the computer "detect and repair" any bad sectors when running the first chkdsk /r command, it is usually a sign that the Hard Disc Drive (HDD) is failing and may need to be replaced.

2. NTLDR is Compressed

The fix for this error message is much easier than the previous "Ntldr is Missing or Corrupt" Error Message.

To resolve issues such as this, follow these guidelines:
• Once in the Windows XP Setup Menu press the R key to repair Windows.
• You will then be prompted for your Administrator Password, enter that password. (If there is no password just leave it blank and press Enter)
Use the following commands:
compact /u C:ntldr (ENTER)
exit (ENTER)
Important Note: Replace C: with the drive letter that applies to the specific computer setup if this is different. Also please note the spaces in the Command Prompts.

Remove the disk, and reboot the computer. Upon reboot all should be normal. It's simple as that!

In conclusion the writer would like to thank Eneles - TSF Hardware Moderator and JohnthePilot (JtP) - TSF Articles Assistant Manager for helping create this article with their guiding comments.
© 2008 Roman Ferraro
Closed Thread