Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

only half of screen visible

This is a discussion on only half of screen visible within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I have had a strange problem lately. When I start up my laptop, only the top half of

Closed Thread

Old 06-11-2005, 04:49 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there,

I have had a strange problem lately. When I start up my laptop, only the top half of the screen is showing what it is supposed to, the bottom half stays white or, alternatively, striped. The hard drive functions without problems.
After a bit of play (switching the laptop on and off several times etc) and warm-up (about 20-30min), the bottom half of the screen starts to become visible very slowly, but foggy and flickery, and improves gradually til everything is back to normal after about 30-60 min. As soon as everything is in place again, the screen functions as if nothing happened, without a flicker, for the rest of the day.

I know, this really sounds like a hardware problem, but the first appearance of that strange behaviour conincided with a massive malware/ spyware/ virus attack.

Is it possible the screen thingy has anything to do with the virus attack or is it definitely a hardware problem?

NZ

Old 06-11-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
Registered Member

enzet-
Try re-installing the driver for the video card. As to the malware/spyware attack- do you think you were 100% successfull in efforts to clean up the computer.
On the surface one would suspect that the screen is going- but I have not owned a laptop and therefore have no experience with them nor do I know about their longevity. Malware/spyware and viruses can affect all aspects of
computers -that I am certain of though. I would try the above first. Second I would make sure I have all windows updates.

I presume that this occurs while plugged in and with battery use?

Let us know how it works out.

Andy

Old 06-11-2005, 06:14 AM   #3
Registered Member

Thanks, Andy.

Have re-installed the driver, can only tell you tomorrow whether it worked, when I switch on the machine again out of the cold, so to speak.
Fairly positive that I am up to date with windows updates.
Not too sure about spyware thingy, several logs are being analysed by security team just now. Need to wait for reply and green light from them.

NZ
Old 06-11-2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Registered Member

It's not a definite, but should reinstalling the drivers fail, adjusting the resolution has always helped when it happened to me.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus

My System

Since you mention warm-up time, it maybe a bad LCD display. Besides drivers for the video card, there may be monitor drivers needed as well. Try it, but (and I hope not) you may be looking at a toasted LCD.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:43 PM   #6
Registered Member

Well, the problem re-occured today :-(. I'll look into the screen drivers. My laptop is about 3 years old now, is it worthwhile getting it fixed? People are always telling me it would be madness to get laptops fixed - is it really that expensive???