Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

ntldr missing during bootup even after copying it across from xp boot cd

This is a discussion on ntldr missing during bootup even after copying it across from xp boot cd within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. ok my problem is sort of two pronged but i beleive one problem i need tp rectify is suited to

Closed Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

ok my problem is sort of two pronged but i beleive one problem i need tp rectify is suited to this forum. if not please let me know.

there is a small bit of background that got me into the trouble i am in now which is perhaps suited to another forum but i think i can deal with that later.

so following is my dilema.

i had a build with:
asus p4p800 deluxe mobo
pentium 4 cpu
ati 9800 pro graphics
xp home pro
WD 320GB IDE HD

originally i had everything installed on an older harddrive which started playing up, so i ghosted the drive onto the new HD which was of a larger size (i remember reading this can cause problems) and had no problems at all.

recently i decided to upgrade a few components,
asus P5Q pro mobo
intel core 2 quad q8200 cpu
nvidea 9800gtx+ graphics

and in my extreme idocy decided i could just replace the components and reboot and all the drivers would update. obviously not so.

after getting to the windows logo screen for about 2 secs before meeting the bsod for about 0.5 seconds before a reboot, i did some reading and thought i would boot from the xp cd and do this repair install. however booting from the cd told me i would have to reformat my entire drive to set up windows. (didnt give me the option to repair). also rather that showing an actual install occurance of xp it just showed one of the drive partitions with (not accurately sized and displaying only 10 MB free)

after doing some more reading i decided to go to the repair menu from the boot cd rather than the install menu. from here i performed a FIXBOOT C: which said it was successful. however i did notice that i was not given an option to logon to an xp istallation by entering 1 which all of the pages i had read metioned.

after rebooting i recieved the ntldr missing message on bootup. i had read about this when reading about the fixboot. so i again went to the repair menu of the xp boot cd, and preformed a copy D:\i386\ntldr C: command and a copy D:\i386\ntdetect C: command which both returned a 1 file copied successfully message.

after rebooting i was still given the ntldr missing message.
i attempted to copy the files across again and it asked me whether i would like to overwrite the existing file indicating that the files are indeed there.

getting frustrated i decided perhaps i would return the system to its old self and rety the upgrade later once i had some more knowledge. i did so and was still given the ntldr missing message and have been able to get past this since.

i am now at a stage where i am not sure what to do as i would very much prefer not to format the drive. if you have any ideas on how to get my computer to boot up i would be very appreciative.

otherwise the only other option i can think of is to buy a new harddrive, upgarde the components and do a clean install of windows on the new HD. then use the old HD as an extra HD hopefully with all of my files etc in tact. although not sure if this will even work but i suspect this is a problem for another forum.

sorry for this ridiculously long winded description just wanted to give as much detail as i could.

thankyou for any help you can give me,
Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

Hello Chris

It is not good news if the "Repair" option is missng

Try repairing the boot.ini (assuming you really have replaced ntldr and ntdetect.com )

Boot into the Recovery Console again and at the prompt type
Bootcfg /Rebuild
ENTER

The exact wording will depend on your setup, but after a few moments you'll see a prompt that says something like:
Total Identified Windows Installs: 1
[1] C:\Windows
Add Installation To Boot List?

Assuming the information you see is correct, enter
Y
Bootcfg will start the process of rebuilding the boot list to include the indicated Windows installation

After a moment, you'll be asked to "Enter Load Identifier."
This is the name of the operating system that will appear in boot menus.
Type
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
or
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
(whichever your system is)
ENTER
Next you'll be asked to "Enter OS Load Options."
For normal installations, enter
/Fastdetect
ENTER

Type
Exit
to leave the Recovery Console and reboot the PC, which should then start normally.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #3
Registered Member

thankyou for your quick reply.
i attempted to rebuild the boot config but recieved the following messgae

"Error: Failed to succcessfully (yes with 3 c's....) scan disks for Windows installlations.
This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would
prevent Bootfg from successfully scanning. Use chkdsk to
0 detect any errors.

Note: This operation must complete successfully in order for the
/add or /rebuild commands to be utilized.
"

so from here i decided to run a chkdsk on C:. i recieved the following message

The volume Serial Number is 0000-0000

The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked.
Use /p if you want to check the volume anyway.

10344 kilobytes total disk space.
10072 kilobytes are available.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
2586 total alloctaion units on disk.
2518 allocation units available on disk.

so i decided to do a chkdsk :C /p to check the volume anyway and recieved the following message

The volume Serial Number is 0000-0000

The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems.
(followed by the same byte numbers as before)

so i guess it is not looking good. i am a little curious as to why its saying i only have 10Mb on the disk. its a 320GB harddrive with 3 partitions. I believe the C: partition was somewhere in the region of 40 GB. perhaps it is not reading the partition and only reading some remaining unpartioned space...could explain why it doesnt see an operation system on there, the difference in availale space and total space could be the size of the ntldr and ntdetect.com files.

anyway to reconfigure it to see an actual partition?

cheers for reply and i hope this thing is not totaly screwed.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
Registered Member

update: i been looking around in the recovery console some more and ran a few commands.

running a map arc command i recieve the following

C: FAT16 131072MB multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
D: \device\cdrom0

and if i look in the directory with dir C: i get

The volume in Drive C has no label
The volume serial number is 0000-0000

Directory of C:\

08/23/01 12:00p -a------ 222368 ntldr
08/23/01 12:00p -a------ 45124 ntdetect.com
03/05/09 11:07a -a------ 668 bootex.log
3 file(s) 268160 bytes
10313728 bytes free

not entirely sure what the hell is going on. i've never even heard of a FAT16 filesystem before, and its obviously not reading my partitions correctly. and as i have no option to log on to my windows installation it must be reading the wrong partition. i have no idea why and im quite sure my installation was on a drive labeled C:. im becoming more convinced its reading the unpartitioned section of my harddrive.

any thoughts on how to redirect it to see the other partitions. is there a third party software that might allow me to see them during bootup?
Old 03-05-2009, 04:16 AM   #5
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

It is not looking too good.

Either your Windows installation is so corrupted that setup cannot see it at all or else your hard drive is going bad

In the Recovery Console you could try running
chkdsk /r (there is a space before /)
Enter

This will try to repair any errors

And run a manufacturers diagnostic on the drive
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

If you don't know the make of hard drive Hitachi Drive Fitness Test will work with any make.

The Hitachi 3rd download is for a bootable CD

Old 03-05-2009, 05:33 AM   #6
Registered Member

ok well i guess things are not looking good. downloaded the dos version for the western digital drive that i have and it did not detect any drive uing boot up, even though the model number comes up in the bios. would anything like partition magic or something have something bootable that might allow me to check if i can still see the other partitions?

otherwise i might just go buy a new sata hard drive (new mobo only has 1 ide slot which is annoying as i have a spare ide HD) and put all the new stuff in, take the current HD out, install windows and whatnot hoping all the drivers work, then add in the current IDE HD after to see if i can still get all my files off it. hopefully that will work if i cant find any other options.

thanks for your help so far
Old 03-06-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
Registered Member

update:

ok well i also ran a partition table doctor boot cd on it and after choosing an interactive repair it siad i only had 1 partition so i did not save the new table.

ive now gone out and bought a new sata HD and put all the new stuff back in and taken the current IDE hard drive out. havent started it up yet but i will see if i can install windows on the new HD and then connect the current HD later and see if i can work out whats goin from in windows. hopefully i shouldnt have too much trouble having a version of windows seemingly buried on the current drive with all of the drivers for the old hardware once i connect it up.

if all goes well with all the new stuff i will probably move my problems over to the Harddrive forum if i still cant get it to work.

wish me luck,
Chris
Old 03-06-2009, 01:51 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

I think you did need to get a new drive

Good luck

Old 03-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #9
Registered Member

ok new drive is up and running and the old HD is connected up (only seeing 1 10MB partition for it) so will now move my problem to the HD forum. Cheers for all your help anyway.
Chris
Old 03-08-2009, 04:09 AM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Visitng Expert

You are welcome

Closed Thread