Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

NTLDR fatal error 256 reading boot .ini

9K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  chauffeur2 
#1 ·
I have win XPhome on my pc, and was not having any problems. I turned computer off, and then at another time, when I turned computer back on, it started loading in, and then stopped, and a prompt said,,,,,,searching for boot floppy, and then a promt said "NTLDR fatal error 256 reading boot ini". I have gone on web and located boot drivers for xp, and put floppy in, and nothing. The green light does not even come on that indicates floppy drive is working. I have not used floppy drive in a while,,,,could it be possible that the floppy drive is bad? I could not even start computer in safe mode,,,,,

#2 ·
Hi,

What you need to do is move the floppy drive so that it is the first item in the boot order in your BIOS. Then it will boot from the floppy.

Alternatively, you can use the recovery console on your XP disk to repair the boot.ini file. To enter the recovery console, press the "R" key when you see the Welcome to setup Screen after booting from your XP CD. When you are at the recovery console command prompt, enter this:
Code:
bootcfg /rebuild

#3 ·
Ntldr is a hidden boot file that is located on the hard drive that is required to boot windows. If that file is not present, you will not be able to boot windows. Have you changed any recent settings? Check your bios for an changes in the boot order. That might be the reason why your computer is looking for the file on your floopy. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

#4 ·
Hi,,,,,thanks,,,,,,,,,,I am at work right now, and will try and fool with it when I get home. Could you tell me why I might be getting the 256 in the error message? I read on Microsoft's site, that it might have something to do with my ram, as I have 2, 256 cards in there, and they suggested I might have one stick bad,,,,,,what do you think about that?

#5 ·
to flynshue,,,,,,,,,,,,,,the only change I made was about a month ago, I added a new harddrive. When installing it,,,,,,,,,I chose to just copy the contents of the old one, onto the new one. I made the new one the master, and the old one slave. I am wondering if I should have just taken the old one out. It has been making some noise lately. Other than that no changes.

Another question,,,,,,,when you go into setup,,,,,when windows is first loading in, is it password protected? I went in there, but I couldn't make any changes to boot order.

#6 · (Edited)
Hi kskier, Welcome to TSF! :wave:

I have used this fairly straight forward and simple resolution for your issue.

What you need to do is ask a friend or collegue that has Windows® XP Home™ on their computer, if you can copy theses files...

ntldr : NTDETECT.COM : and boot.ini

These are the three files that are needed to boot Windows®.
Now to gain access to these particular files, you will need to change the viewing attributes of the files so that the system files and folders are 'visible'...to do this...
Double click the My Computer desktop icon > Tools > Folder Options > View.
Once in here scroll to Files and Folders; then, tick Display contents of system folders...Scroll down to the next section Hidden Files and Folders tick Show Hidden files and Folders; now Untick Hide extensions for known file types and Hide Protected Operating System Files. Close out of the My Computer window and reopen it.

Now Right click on the C: Drive > Explore...the three mentioned files will be visible for you to copy to the floppy.
To make it even easier to 'see' the files, do this...

Go View > Details > Arrange icons by...Modified > Show in Groups.(You will need to go into View for each one of these steps.)

Copy them to a floppy disc; then, insert the floppy into your computer...this will allow the computer to boot up.
Once up and running, simply copy the three files from the floppy to the C: Drive.
Having done that, telephone your nearest Microsoft® Support Centre and ask them to email you a copy of their Bcupdate2.exe utility and follow the instructions that they give you.

This cured the same problem for me. :grin:

One very important fact to remember...the computer that you use to copy the files must have Windows® XP Home™ you cannot use a computer with Windows® XP Professional, as the file make-up is different.

Of course you will need to reverse the viewing attributes after you have copied the files.

Give it a go and report back with the result and if there are any other queries/concerns.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.