Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Microsoft Support > Windows XP Support

Not enough free disk space error trying to save a 190KB file (NTFS!!)

This is a discussion on Not enough free disk space error trying to save a 190KB file (NTFS!!) within the Windows XP Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. OK, I have run out of ideas and things to check. I have a 90gb hard drive (internal), it's got

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
Registered Member

OK, I have run out of ideas and things to check. I have a 90gb hard drive (internal), it's got about 45gb free. I have defragged, I have deleted tons of temp files, and other files, etc. Still I cannot save or move a 190 KB sized file. I keep getting 'not enough free space on the disk' message.

This is already an NTFS device, and the file doesn't exceed a fat32 size anyway, so that's not the issue I am facing.

I have closed down all programs, except the app I am using to try to create and then save this file (it's like Microsoft Office, plain text or excel file format just using Sun's StarOffice instead), I have rebooted numerous times all to no avail.

Anybody have any other ideas on why I am still getting this message and cannot save any files?? Any help or info greatly appreciated.
tia!
-Terrie

Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #2
a bit alien

Send a message via Yahoo to sobeit

recheck the location its being copied to. did you delete the files from your windows temporary folder? is it just this one file or all files?

Old 07-16-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
Registered Member

What do mean by 'recheck the location being copied to' exactly? If you mean the disk device, it's the C drive, only disk I have on the system. Going to a folder in my 'safe' area. And yes it is already an NTFS file system structure, so no 'limit' however this file in question atm is only 190kb, so shouldn't be an issue for a fat32 or even a fat16, if I had that which I don't. Otherwise not sure what you mean here.

Yes, yes I have deleted files from all temp locations I can find on this thing. My 'local settings' temp folder, Windows temp folder, 'internet temp' file folder, anything labeled 'temp'.

In the past as I have run into this 'not enough free space' message, deleting temp folder files (using Windows "disk cleanup util") has allowed more files to be saved. Not this time.

Basically I am trying to save a file I received as an email attach, I need to edit it and send it on. Yes I can use the copy that is stored in 'temp', but I need to archive it for later use.... and that I cannot do. so it's only 190kb after my edits in the temp folder/directory.... yet I cannot do either a 'save as' from my app or do a 'move' function. Either choice yields the 'not enough free space' message.

Though upon creation of a new file within the app, trying to just issue a save command, I get a 'general input output' error message, which normally amounts to much the same, not enough room. Though that message may also be referring to memory. So to be safe, I have even closed down all other apps, so I only have this one file open, and still cannot save it. *sigh*

I have resorted to removing this app software, rebooted, and am now attempting a clean install to see if possibly something just got munged, as happens (all to often) in Windows. This is my last resort, because I have to get this file completed by close of business today.

Unfortunately I really don't know a means to check what is resident in memory on this platform, the task manager has loads of stuff showing in process tab, but I cannot tell if the messages stem truly from disk or memory (RAM) not having enough room to perform the copy/write function. ;) just one more reason why I am not normally on this platform!
Old 07-17-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

Sorry, forgot to add, it's ANY file or so it seems. I am still playing with it. Not sure if I mentioned, I did remove and reinstall the application. No change in being able to save any file.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
- Microsoft Support

Are you getting this message ONLY when trying to save from StarOffice? What version are you running?

From time to time, we have been tempted to believe that society has become too complex to be managed by self-rule, that government by an elite group is superior to government for, by, and of the people. But if no one among us is capable of governing himself, then who among us has the capacity to govern someone else?
-Ronald Reagan, 1981 Inaugural Address-
Old 07-17-2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Registered Member

Actually no, it seems it is not just StarOffice. (Version 8, btw) I just tried to save a NotePad file as text (.txt), got "not enough space on disk" error message.

Man, this is frustrating. Only thing I can think of is maybe there's not enough room in memory to juggle what needs juggling. I see no other logical reason for these messages. it just doesn't make sense to my brain. But then, admittedly I am NOT a windows expert by any means, hence my asking for help. hahahaha

I have been busy trying to get work done (without having to save anything, NOT easy). I still want to try to save to various app's and see if I can save anything.

stay tuned....
Old 07-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
Registered Member

I have narrowed it down to the disk area. Though you didn't explain what you meant by 'recheck the disk' it got me thinking. The issue seems to be with where I am trying to save, not what or how much really I am trying to save because I am not able to save even an 11kb sized file. It's the 'safe' disk, or 'safe' area on this system. I can save any sized file anywhere else as long as it's not under that 'safe' folder/directory. So somehow this area is set for a size limitation. Now I need to go figure out how to remove that. Yes I am trying to backup and off load for the interim, but I will still need it to not have a limit on it's size. Off to my next learning curve.

If anyone knows how to resolve this size issue in the 'safe' disk/area that'd be a huge help. tia